Montreal 4th of July weekend

jerryskater
This topic is 5197 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My partner and I drove up from New Jersey on Thursday July 1. It took only 3minutes to get through Canadian customs which usually takes from a half hour to 45 minutes. Interestingly there was a piece on CTV one night about American tourism to Quebec province being down 40% since 2002. They didn't posit any theories as to why but I would think the strong Canadian dollar has to be a big reason.

The Village was pretty busy but perhaps just a tad less crowded then I remember. Hard to say. I do love the fact that recently they have been making Ste. Catherine Street into pedestrian mall. Having lunch and dinner on one of the restaurant's patios is great for people watching.

Mozza and Steak Frites (new this year) are bring your own wine and decent places for dinner. Villa Rouge has replaced Donatellos and seems much the same as before: decent but not great.

My preference in dancers is the slimmer twink type so in the past have frequented Taboo and Adonis. We heard that JPs was opening in the afternoons with twinks so we went there Thursday and Friday. Very few dancers - maybe 4 - both days and even fewer customers. At one point Thursday we were the only ones there. I did have a nice dance wtih Oliver. Friday we looked in and saw no one and only two dancers at the bar so we turned and left. Didn't go back. Maybe we should have tried the evenings.

Taboo was OK but certainly a shadow of what it once was. Saturday was the only night with a good number of dancers and patrons. I managed to get ripped off by Maxim (tall eastern European) who charged me for four dances when I could swear I only had two. That was my own fault. Should have paid attention or told him only two dances at the start. Thought I was wiser than that.

I did miss former dancers Francis, Pierre-Luc and Derrick who always made us feel welcome. (I know we were paying for it with drinks and dances- but still it was nice.) I also missed the kind of good time, party atmosphere that Taboo used to have. Also the music was WAY to loud.

Campus in the afternoons was fun. Lots of dancers which I think would satisfy a wide range of tastes except for those into real muscle. Had a nice time with Adrian (fomerly of Adonis). He delivers nicely in his private dances.

This is not as complete a report as some other posts that I have enjoyed reading very much and hope they and others will continue to post. I would just like to express a very personal opinion: My partner and I enjoy Montreal very much. We like the feeling of the Village and being with so many gay people. We have seen many memorable exhibitions at the Museum of Fine arts and the Museum of Contemporary Art. And you get the added bonus of the strip clubs.

...My partner and I enjoy Montreal very much. We like the feeling of the Village and being with so many gay people...
For me, it's the mix of people, straight, gay (of both genders), whatever, all mingling with each other on Ste. Catherine and in the Village as if it's the most normal thing in the world...which it is, there.

Thanks for the report.

For me, it's the mix of people, straight, gay (of both genders), whatever, all mingling with each other on Ste. Catherine and in the Village as if it's the most normal thing in the world...which it is, there.

Thanks for the report.

Very true. It is a wonderful mix of people of all ages, gender, and orientation.

Very true. It is a wonderful mix of people of all ages...
Thanks for reminding me about the age thing -- that's another big part of it for me, seeing gay men of all ages, from teenagers to those in wheel chairs, in that very natural setting.

Archived