Johnny's Ft. Lauderdale Targeted By Police

Guest Tristan
This topic is 5060 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tristan

It appears that the Ft. Lauderdale police have nothing better to do than go after stripper bars. At the same time, we hear a lot of cities and towns complain that they're too understaffed to cope with serious crimes.

http://www.southfloridagaynews.com/editorial/publishers-editorial/1864-cops-harass-fort-lauderdale-bar.html

BTW: This web site (and weekly paper) is the best source for serious articles on S FL gay issues.

Guest Tristan
It's an election year: it tends to bring out this crap.

Be as it may, I think the article shows that the issues are more complex. Johnny's had been left alone for many years of elections.

I spent 3 days in Fort Lauderdale this past week and the scene at Johnny's was very depressing. The first night there were around 35 dancers of all types; I would have been happy to spend time with at least 1/3 of them. After time at the bar with a favorite from my last visit, I took him to the lap dance area, only to discover that the curtains had been removed and the booths were now open. He apologized profusely, saying he thought I had known about it. Needless to say, our activities were substantially curtailed.

The next night, some of the dancers were very skittish about letting customers fondle them at the bar in the way that was previously commonplace. They had been warned that there might be undercover cops in the bar. I also heard that changes were going to be made in the way dancers dressed.

On night 3, the dancers wore briefs only on stage and were required to wear their normal street clothes while circulating among customers. A few allowed a little furtive groping very reluctantly (once said "I don't want to have to explain to my mother that I was arrested for prostitution"), and it wasn't much fun through layers of street clothing. Even tipping on stage was curtailed: a large fishbowl was left on stage labeled "tips for dancers" and those who attempted to stuff money into dancers' briefs were directed to the fishbowl. The dancers were very morose and unhappy; no one was making much money. I used my stash of dollar bills for bar tipping to tip on stage instead (which earned me a big hug and kiss from the drag queen MC who came over to thank me "for supporting our dancers").

I heard various stories from different dancers. A number thought that Johnny's was being targeted because of the upcoming elections and that things would return to normal in a week or two. Evidently the bar is going to reimburse them for buying shorts and tank tops to wear while not on stage, which will at least differentiate them from the younger customers and look sexier than their street outfits.

Over the past year, Johnny's has evolved into the best strip club I know of. If this goes on for long, they're likely to lose their dancers and their clientele, which will make me very sad!

How sad. I was there about a month ago. Had a blast. These things tend to run their course. I'm sure all will be fine in time. Sean can't open Johnny's II (supposedly the Gaiety Club) fast enough.

There has been such chatter about the new club for some time - any update. I am so disappointed- was planning a special trip to fort lauderdale in August and was so looking forward to spending time at Johnny's:(:(

I too am very disappointed, was just in the reservation process, marriott has good deals for rewards members and others also, I think. Does anyone know if this will continue? Is Boardwalk affected? Sorry if this info has bee posted elsewhere, have been away a lot and not reading this board as much as I should.

Guest Tristan

Thanks to newatthis for providing details of the recent changes at Johnny's. It does sound very depressing. If the curtains were removed from the booths, it's not much more private than The Boardwalk. Dancers wearing street clothes at the bar takes all the fun out of it. That's awful! The smoke and high noise level were already a nuisance. These changes really turn me off from going there.

The article I cited in my original post stated that it's Johnny's that seems to be targeted. I haven't read anything in the local gay rags about The Boardwalk. I haven't been there recently. Perhaps, someone who has can tell us what changes, if any, have been made there.

Thanks to newatthis for providing details of the recent changes at Johnny's. It does sound very depressing. If the curtains were removed from the booths, it's not much more private than The Boardwalk.
It's still considerably more private than Boardwalk, if your dancer takes you to the innermost booth. Doing a lap dance there is something like doing one at Campus in Montreal before they put up curtains. Your dancer just has to be creative and alert. But given what was possible previously, it's a big letdown.

Dancers wearing street clothes at the bar takes all the fun out of it.
By now, they are probably sporting their new tank tops and shorts outfits. The real problem at the bar is the chilling effect on dancers of the fear that undercover cops will catch them fondling or being fondled.

there was another club that i visited several months ago, OZ, or some name like that. Have they also been targated. The twinks there were not as generous with the lap dances but they had curtain enclosures. This is just awful. I wuld imagine that the boys would be looking for other type of employment if this continues. Going to ft lauderdale in a few weeks and appreciate the updates.

You're thinking of Cozmos, which was described in some detail by Karl-G

Fort Lauderdale now has a fifth male stripper bar....
On my recent Fort Lauderdale trip, I stopped there one night. The separate piano bar area is nicely decorated and completely separate from the dance bar, making it easy to have a conversation with someone. They have a very generous happy hour policy (before the dancers begin at 9 pm) and $2 well drinks and domestic beers on (most?) week nights after 9 pm. The bartender that night was a guy who used to work at Johnny's.

There were only about 6 dancers and I didn't find any of them particularly attractive. I did take one for a lap dance (I was told that management does frequent checks on what's going on inside when the curtains are closed); he tried to scam me out of additional money over and above the standard fee we had agreed on on the grounds that he had "done more." Believe me, he did a lot less than a Johnny's dancer had done the previous night with the curtains down.

The following night a dancer at Johnny's told me he had danced for a couple of weeks at Cozmos, but came back to Johnny's because he found the dance area too large and well-lit. He also had some serious complaints about the owner.

Karl-G had a considerably better time than I did, so YMMV.

I don't have any first hand information; but it occurs to me that Johnny's is located in the city of Fort Lauderdale just a block or two down from the police station and to the best of my knowledge Boardwalk is located in the city of Wilton Manors and Cozmos and Dudes may be in Oakland Park.

I don't know enough about all of the workings of the Broward County government and how the towns and cities are set up but I think that may be the reason that Boardwalk, Cozmos and Dudes are not being targeted. (they might be for all I know)

Maybe others more familar with the geographic boundaries of the towns in Broward can help us out. I am pretty sure Wilton Manors has its own police force and own ordinances regarding stripping in clubs that serve alcohol.

Guest Tristan
I don't have any first hand information; but it occurs to me that Johnny's is located in the city of Fort Lauderdale just a block or two down from the police station and to the best of my knowledge Boardwalk is located in the city of Wilton Manors and Cozmos and Dudes may be in Oakland Park.

The Boardwalk is in Ft. Lauderdale. It is right over the small bridge from Wilton Manors on Andrews Avenue.

Puritanism and hedonism are antonyms!

We have all the church going, 'conservatives' to thank...

The article further denotes in FLL:

City ordinances make it lewd and illegal to expose any part of the cleft of the anus, reveal the female tip of the areola, or even allow a man to get an erection in a nightclub.

Karl-G, I can't get a hard-on in a nightclub in your fair city?

The curtains at Johnny's were rehung several days ago.

The stories circulating are exaggerated and/or untrue.

what is the story? are the private area with curtains still private? Have they really been rehung? Has this all had any effect on the number of twink dancers and customer base. Coming down there in a dew week for a few days and hope it is almost back to normal. It is ironic that they are clamping down on this club when they actually have sex clubs like slammers where guys are having sex openly.

Johnny's Back to Normal

Johnny's has been all back to normal for a week now, dancers walk around in their briefs, curtains are hanging on the booths for privacy, everybody is having a good time. The number of dancers has always remained the same and the customer base is the same as ever.

So you now have three Fort Lauderdale male stripper bars with large numbers of dancers (Johnny's, Boardwalk, and Cozmos) and one smaller but very nice stripper bar (Dudes). And there are four more male stripper bars in the suburbs (Miami Beach, Palm Beach, etc.) Plus more part-time stripper bars in Miami Beach.

You're welcome.

Johnny's has been all back to normal for a week now, dancers walk around in their briefs, curtains are hanging on the booths for privacy, everybody is having a good time. The number of dancers has always remained the same and the customer base is the same as ever.

So you now have three Fort Lauderdale male stripper bars with large numbers of dancers (Johnny's, Boardwalk, and Cozmos) and one smaller but very nice stripper bar (Dudes). And there are four more male stripper bars in the suburbs (Miami Beach, Palm Beach, etc.) Plus more part-time stripper bars in Miami Beach.

You're welcome.

thanks for the update -- since i don't to florida but maybe twice a year what is the stripper bar in Palm Beach -- is it also a club with the same situation as Johnny's. Are most of the dancers also twinks thanks- you have been very helpful

You're welcome.

I visited Johnny's on August 14 2010 (saturday night); Karl G is right; everything seemed back to normal from the outsider looking in. By that I mean when I arrived, I valet parked ($5.00) (deducted off your first drink); paid cover charge; went inside and the dancers were circulating as normal; normal attire, normal touching, etc. I did receive fewer offers for lap dances. The dancers were mostly closed lipped but the bartenders felt most of the scrutiny was behind them. I was never as liberal as most in the lap dance rooms so I cannot say if things are better or worse. To the naked eye (no pun intended) there was no change from my previous visits

After my vacation is complete I will post a complete summary of my experiences at all the strip clubs I visited.

Happy Hunting

Stripfan

• 3 months later...

You're welcome.

I'm also interested in any info on West Palm Beach strip clubs. Much as I love Dudes and Johnny's my upcoming biz trip takes me to WPB. It's not "that" long of a drive down to visit those bars but it's a much longer drive back up after several cocktails. I sought out Cupids and got there about a week after they had closed on one of my earlier trips. It would be great to here that there's a new club in WPB.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FTLdude

I agree with BostonGuy. Somebody wanted to stir up some dust to get some press time. But the elections are over now. I don't do the bars, but from what I've observed this type of thing is usually more about politics than it is about discrimination or harassment. It comes and goes in cycles, and its not exclusive to the gay venues either. Years ago, it was the straight swingers clubs, then, more recently, the straight dance clubs in the downtown area. I've never been inside Johnny's, but it is a very well-known stripper bar that has been there for ages---a stone's throw away from the Fort Lauderdale police HQ. I doubt the cops were previously oblivious to the type of things that happen between clients and employees behind the scenes there. If they really wanted to harass the bar they wouldn't let up. They would keep sending undercover people in there, and keep citing the owners with code violations, and manufacture reasons to keep raiding it until it shuts down---just like they did with Club Atlantis years ago.

Archived