Friday Funnies

jackhammer91406

Toni Tennille sounds like a real winner if this entry in Wikipedia is true:

Tennille filed for divorce from Dragon in the State of Arizona on January 16, 2014, after 39 years of marriage. Dragon was unaware of the termination of his marriage until he was served with the divorce papers. The divorce documents referenced health insurance or health issues, and Tennille had written on her blog in 2010 that Dragon's neurological condition, similar to Parkinson’s, known as essential tremor, was characterized by such extreme tremors he could no longer play keyboards.

I didn't even think it was possible to divorce someone without their knowledge/participation in the process. And I wouldn't exactly call essential tremor similar to Parkinson's.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Ly, Tom came cleanly.

I feel a song coming on...

IronicalLY, one of his descendants, Robert E. Lee, became one of America's biggest traitors in its history...

For me, "I'm good" indicates a judgement of morality or skill, as in "I'm good at cards".

Good is not the opposite of sick.

"I'm well" is a reflection of attitude or health as in, "i'm feeling well".

Increasingly, "I'm good" is being used to indicate a sufficiency or acceptance of the status quo, as in, "Do you want/need more coffee?"

"No, I'm good."

Edited by glennnn

"I feel good" sounds better to the ear and is more popular, but "I feel well" is more traditionally grammatically correct.

However! "I feel good" evinces a sense of well-being that goes beyond physical health. It means "I feel positive and upbeat! All systems are go!"

As such, they express two different things and are both right, although "I feel well" sounds terribly pedantic.

"I feel good" sounds better to the ear and is more popular, but "I feel well" is more traditionally grammatically correct.

However! "I feel good" evinces a sense of well-being that goes beyond physical health. It means "I feel positive and upbeat! All systems are go!"

As such, they express two different things and are both right, although "I feel well" sounds terribly pedantic.

It sounds especially pedantic when someone uses the expression and then makes a series of grammatical gaffes and/or uses words incorrectly.

To feel, taste, smell, look, and be are what are called reflexive verbs. They convey a different meaning depending on whether the adverb or adjective is used. "I feel good" means "I seem to be in good physical/mental health." On the other hand, "I feel well" implies that my sense if touch is highly developed (very good at reading braille, for instance). "My dog smells good" means I just gave my dog a doggie shampoo. "My dog smells well" means he helps me find truffles. "She smells good" means she has some pleasant perfume on. "She smells well" means she works in the spice industry and is skilled at detecting the best spices. "He looks good" means he's handsome and I want to fuck him. "He looks well" means he's really good at detecting things from afar--perhaps a skilled sniper. "He tastes well" means he's a wine expert, perhaps Robert Parker. "He tastes good" means I'm a cannibal and his flesh has a delicious bouquet. "I'm well" means I'm healthy. "I'm good" means I behave in an ethical manner.

To feel, taste, smell, look, and be are what are called reflexive verbs. They convey a different meaning depending on whether the adverb or adjective is used. "I feel good" means "I seem to be in good physical/mental health." On the other hand, "I feel well" implies that my sense if touch is highly developed (very good at reading braille, for instance). "My dog smells good" means I just gave my dog a doggie shampoo. "My dog smells well" means he helps me find truffles. "She smells good" means she has some pleasant perfume on. "She smells well" means she works in the spice industry and is skilled at detecting the best spices. "He looks good" means he's handsome and I want to fuck him. "He looks well" means he's really good at detecting things from afar--perhaps a skilled sniper. "He tastes well" means he's a wine expert, perhaps Robert Parker. "He tastes good" means I'm a cannibal and his flesh has a delicious bouquet. "I'm well" means I'm healthy. "I'm good" means I behave in an ethical manner.

That's weird because from the examples I saw when I tried looking this up, it looked like both were being used as adjectives.

Well is both an adverb (in a proficient manner) and an adjective (healthy). Usually context tells you which one is being used. To feel has two meanings, the use of the sense of touch, and to sense your emotions or wellbeing. So I feel the ground (which could be modified by an adverb like 'well') or I feel happy. I feel well could mean either version of feel, so it could mean that your sense of touch is in good order, or you sense that your health is good. There is no such ambiguity with taste or smell. (With the possible exception of cancer sensing dogs that detect cancer by smell - their handler could well tell you that the dog thinks you smell well or unwell.)

Yet 'I feel unwell' sounds perfectly normal. To me, 'I'm feeling well' sounds less pedantic than 'I feel well'. There is less difference between 'I'm well' and 'I'm good' when you're asked how you are.

Although not completely correct, in reponse to "How are you" or "How's it going" I say

"Doing OK" , or "Doing just fine, Thanks" depending on how cloudy my contenance is,

although I'm sure criticism about inappropriate use of "Doing" could be leveled.

Seems a little less pedantic than "feeling well" avoiding "feeling good" (although I suppose

"feeling fine" or OK also sidesteps it.

“I have retrograde ejaculation,” Tom came clean.

Kevin Slater

-Ly, Tom came cleanly.

Getting back to Gman's original point here, the correct form for Swifties most always ends with an adverb. Thus, the Swiftie (in correct form) should read:

“I have retrograde ejaculation,” Tom came cleanly.

'“I have retrograde ejaculation,” Tom came clean.' is using an adjective in place of an adverb. The point and joke are apparent, but only a Swiftie stickler such as myself would object to the adject form, but not too vehemently! o_Oo_Oo_O (Just congenially!)

TruHart1 :cool:

Getting back to Gman's original point here, the correct form for Swifties most always ends with an adverb. Thus, the Swiftie (in correct form) should read:

“I have retrograde ejaculation,” Tom came cleanly.

'“I have retrograde ejaculation,” Tom came clean.' is using an adjective in place of an adverb. The point and joke are apparent, but only a Swiftie stickler such as myself would object to the adject form, but not too vehemently! o_Oo_Oo_O (Just congenially!)

Except that came clean is a synonym for said. Came cleanly is not.

Kevin Slater

Kevin Slater

I realize that and thus yours is a loose exception for that reason. If you follow the correct form though, there should be an adverb following 'came clean' such as

“I have retrograde ejaculation,” Tom came clean internally.

Hey, no big deal...

Kevin Slater

I realize that and thus yours is a loose exception for that reason. If you follow the correct form though, there should be an adverb following 'came clean' such as

“I have retrograde ejaculation,” Tom came clean internally.

Hey, no big deal...

It may just be me. But the more I think about it 'came clean' seems to me to be more a synonym of 'admitted' rather than 'said'.

Gman

Toni Tennille sounds like a real winner if this entry in Wikipedia is true:

Tennille filed for divorce from Dragon in the State of Arizona on January 16, 2014, after 39 years of marriage. Dragon was unaware of the termination of his marriage until he was served with the divorce papers. The divorce documents referenced health insurance or health issues, and Tennille had written on her blog in 2010 that Dragon's neurological condition, similar to Parkinson’s, known as essential tremor, was characterized by such extreme tremors he could no longer play keyboards.

I didn't even think it was possible to divorce someone without their knowledge/participation in the process. And I wouldn't exactly call essential tremor similar to Parkinson's.

Love didn't keep them together. :rolleyes:

~ Boomer ~