Red X

Charlie
This topic is 5004 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

HTML has changed a lot in the past 10 years since I tried making web pages by hand, and the source for this page was way more

complicated (when I looked in firefox hitting command-U) than I can parse this early in the morning.

Way Back when, the different color dots would have been individual .jpg's or .tiffs and my guess would have been

that Daddy was doing some rearranging on the server and hadn't gotten the larger buttons in the right directory.

But I can't confirm it, and we may have to wait until he gets bored enough on his vacation to peek in ...

Why am I suddenly getting the red x in numerous spots on the forums? It seems to occur in the upper left corner of the page, and under each poster's hierarchy level (baron, etc.).

Huh. Strange.

Well, the technical explanation is that the red X is Internet Explorer's way of saying "there's supposed to be an image here but I can't get it". Firefox users wouldn't likely notice. It displays nothing when it can't get an image.

I'll call Daddy and tell him he needs to kick the server in the head. THANKS FOR POINTING IT OUT!

Mac Safari user here, so I get blue question marks rather than red x's.

Right-clicking on them and selecting 'Open Image in New Window' tells me what's supposed to be there:

Not Found

The requested URL /images/colors/gold.png was not found on this server.

Not Found

The requested URL /images/colors/green.png was not found on this server.

Not Found

The requested URL /images/colors/indigo.png was not found on this server.

Not Found

The requested URL /images/colors/gray.png was not found on this server.

So the colored circle images under users' names appear to be missing. Interestingly, it's intermittent. At first, Honcho's green circle showed up the first time I opened this page, but it's gone now, like the rest.

The blue question mark (red x) in the upper left-hand corner is supposed to be Daddy's M4M logo. I tried the same trick of opening it in a new window and - surprise! - the image opened up just fine. So that one does seem to be on the server, but is not coming through on this page. We'll see if it comes through as an embedded image here:

http://www.companyofmen.org/images/daddy/daddylogo.gif

Yep, it seems to display just fine here. Why it displays here, and not in the upper left-hand corner is a question for wiser heads than mine. (Although it's back in the upper left-hand corner just now, so perhaps, once summoned politely, it sticks around. I know I do. :) )

Hope this helps.

Odd, as I have caches disabled in the browser. Also odd is the fact that it started with the blue question mark which remained for a few refreshes, then went to Daddy's logo which remained for a few refreshes, then went back to a blue question mark which remains for a few refreshes. So how would Daddy's logo have gotten into the cache if it wasn't there to begin with? And why would it open in a new window if it wasn't there on the server? And why would Honcho's green dot show up the first time, but no one else's?

And the embedded image is now gone, as you say, and I can't open it in a new window as I was able to do a few minutes ago.

It sure seems like something intermittent to me.

Not being argumentative, just trying to understand how these things work, and maybe provide some clues for the programmers.

Perhaps you can let us know what the problem turned out to be, once it's resolved.

There's no way to completely turn off your browser's caching. They'll still do it.

I'm pretty sure I already know what's causing it. Last time we had exactly this same thing it was because Daddy installed an upgrade of the mc software and the update whacked paths to the images. Since Daddy uses Firefox (no red x), he wouldn't notice the images that went missing.

(Programmers usually don't give a crap how things *look* as long as they don't blow up! ;))

I had to upgrade the forum software and update the security stuff because we were getting 50+ robot registrations overnight (recapta appears to have been broken). Images should be back in place.

Hauling Boxes and Getting new bed frame setup.

You're seeing results of image caching on your pc. The image that "looks fine here" doesn't display at all for me.

We know. It's been reported. (I suspect Daddy is either hauling or unpacking boxes.)

Archived