Boston Gay-ety

gp0560
This topic is 4568 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Who would like to share their evaluations of gay life in Boston? Is there an area analogous to Boys Town in Chicago? What kind of environment is Boston in general for an ... ahem ... more mature man?

Any other particulars or peculiarities that should be noted?

And, oh yeah, BTW, where can this more mature man go to watch hot young guys with their shirts off?

Guest countryboywny

I've found the "scene" in Boston is not real welcoming to us "mature" guys, especially if your not a local. Probably the friendliest bar I've found is Fritz. The only male strip joint is in Cambridge (cor. Mass. Ave and Albany) called Paradise. It's hit or miss with 2-3 dancers on weeknights, more on weekends. If you're of a mind to travel, take a 45 minute train ride to Providence, RI. Much, much friendlier, a great time! Hope this helps a little.

In addition to Paradise, which is just over the Mass Ave bridge from Boston, "mature guys" may find the Eagle fun, interesting, horrible, distressing, welcoming, off-putting, comfortable, unusual. Jack, the bartender owner cares not what he says and he IS entertaining. The crowd is mostly mature, but it is also known as the last chance, so especially on the weekends prettier boys from Fritz and other bars show up at the Eagle to get picked up. By 2 AM some no longer notice that your are "mature".

Also Paradise closes at 1 except for Friday and Saturday (2AM) so most of the crowd who wish to continue tend to head for Machine/Ramrod. The bar scene sure isn't what it was in the 70s. I'm afraid it's a digital world and the digits aren't feeling my ass.

Fritz and The Boston Eagle are in the South End on Berkley ST and Tremont St. (about 3 blocks from each other). Club Cafe, 209 Columbus Avenue and a near and short walk from Fritz has a "one stop shopping" cafe, restaurant, bar, lounge and show bar and dance floor.

Paradise on Mass Ave in Cambridge has been around "forever" but not as "forever as the Ramrod, which used to be Herbie's Ramrod when it was in the Theater District (now it is on Boylston Street in the Fens.)

now guys ... don't be unfair to Boston.

It is true that the gay scene here is packed with younger guys ... mostly because of the 100-odd (some very odd) colleges and universities in the area. And that's what gives the city, its art scene, and the gay scene a lot of life and energy. I'm afraid that many of the folks who would now be populating the "mature" scene didn't make it through the epidemic; many (in fact, now that I think of it, most) of my gay friends from that time are no longer with us.

The South End is still the "gay" part of Boston ... but not as gay as it was in the 70's and early 80's ... before all the heterosexual couples with their strollers started moving in. (Followed, more recently, by gay and lesbian couples pushing strollers ...) Gentrification bites back.

The bar scene may not be particularly fertile ground for "mature" gay men (I wouldn't know ... don't go any more myself), but I would probably second the recommendation for Fritz. And I must say, a couple of "mature" guys I know here seem to do pretty well for themselves. With so many 20-somethings around, there are bound to be some who genuinely prefer mature partners ... as one of my friends attests with a wink and a grin.

That said ... society at large around here is MUCH friendlier to GLBT (well, at least GLB) folks than most other parts of the country ... right up there with NYC & Chicago. So for gay people who want to live here, I give this place either 8 or 9 out of 10. (It is missing stripper bars and indoor anonymous sex palaces and such.)

And as far as being friendly is concerned ... if one needs to drag out a stereotype, the one I've found fits is that Bostonians are generally polite, helpful, and hospitable, but do not leap into the arms of every stranger/traveler to say "oh, you're my BFFL!" BUT, once you make a friend here, he/she sticks around through thick and thin ... as long as you both shall live. It is different than some other cities (which I will not name) where everyone is instantaneously friendly ... and then either turns out to be fickle, fair-weather, or transient.

The weather here sucks much of the time, but otherwise it's one of the nicest places to live that I know of.

In good weather, however, there are lots and lots of handsome, fit, hot young men with running/jogging, etc with their shirts off up and down the Charles river on both sides; the Esplanade on the Boston side and along Memorial Drive on the Cambridge side. Again, in warm weather, Harvard Square remains, as it has been for decades, one of the most interesting places to people watch outside NY and SF. And when it is really warm, the Boston Common and public Garden are fun too. It definitely ain't Miami, but for the northeast ... not bad. And because a lot of those young'uns are actually in school, they can even carry on intelligent conversations ... ;)

now guys ... don't be unfair to Boston.

And as far as being friendly is concerned ... if one needs to drag out a stereotype, the one I've found fits is that Bostonians are generally polite, helpful, and hospitable, but do not leap into the arms of every stranger/traveler to say "oh, you're my BFFL!" BUT, once you make a friend here, he/she sticks around through thick and thin ... as long as you both shall live. It is different than some other cities (which I will not name) where everyone is instantaneously friendly ... and then either turns out to be fickle, fair-weather, or transient. QUOTE]

I have to agree with shadowman. You might have to initiate the conversation, (think reserved or reticent, not "unfriendly") but, once formed, real friendships last here.

Yes, i agree with Craigville ... the boat to P-Town (affectionately known among my friends as "the fast fairy ferry") is a quick and very pleasant way to get from downtown Boston (Rowes Wharf) right to P-town ... as long as the weather is decent. (That trip today, with 35 mph winds, would not have been pleasant ... might even have been cancelled). It is a great, comfortable catamaran, a fun group of passengers, and a splendid way to relax en route to debauchery ... or relaxation ... or art gallery browsing ... or sunset watching ... or whatever you want to do in one of the most beautiful resort towns in the US.

It's been a while since I've been to Boston, but on my last visit, I opened a few conversations with "So, I've heard that people in Boston are kind of standoffish." This line, if well delivered, will compel the recipient to prove you wrong. I had a great time!

Although I live outside of Boston, it is truly a great city that you get out of it what you are willing to put into it. It is a very conservative city, but when the gay scene is ready to let their hair down. Get ready to paaty. Just paak the caa and go for it. We're ready!!!!!

Boston Bill

Archived