Dudes in Ft. Lauderdale

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 4534 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am currently in South Florida and have just been reading the latest HotSpots gay rag magazine. There are pictures inside of Dudes "Grand Opening" and multiple ads inside including a fullpage ad where they are "searching for the hottest most elite dancers in the country". The ad also indicates "Dudes is fast becoming the hottest all male dance bar". Nothing about nudity so I assume the guys have some speedo or g-string on when dancing.

Many of us are aware that Dudes was around for a number of years in Ft. Lauderdale and had stippers/gogo boys. They never previously seemed to find their niche and died a slow death. Not sure if they actually shutdown or not. In any case, it is noteworthy that they are starting again and advertising heavily. I really don't see how Broward County can support 4 strip clubs: Boardwalk, Johnny's, Swinging Richards (I'm not sure if Richards is South Broward or North Dade), & Dudes. I will not make it up to FTL during this trip as I am Miami based. So no report on Dudes will be forthcoming from me. However, if anyone local or soon to visit FTL visited Dudes, it would be good to see a report of what the place is like now.:)

One point I forgot to mention which I feel is pretty important; Dudes ad indicates the bar is "No Smoking" which is a pretty big deal....at least for me. One of the things I hate about the clubs in Florida is that most allow smoking. For me, having a bar with dancers that does not allow smoking is a bug plus.....I hope they can make a go of it.

I don't know in this Economy a New Biz? The Owners want to spend more time together as a Couple just might bring on a Divorce real fast!

How NEW could their Scenario be? A Dance Bar is a Dance Bar?

Time Will Tell..But there's definitely still a major crowd who like Smokey Bars and aren't going to change their habits quickly.

I was at Dudes twice last week. The first time I arrived after 10 pm, thinking that is when all the action would start. It was VERY depressing. The dancers were somewhere north of 40 years old and only three were up at anyone time. there were only two customers in the place. I painfully gave it about an hour and a half, and then I had to bail. I asked the bartender what the problem was, he said that the bar has become an early bar. It dies around 10 pm. I tried a couple of days later, and arrived in the early evening. It was a little bit better, but not a place that I would make a destination. There were a couple of cute dancers, but they were concentrating on some older customers that appeared to be regulars. The dancers didn't circulate much. Tried to go a third time, but the "Air show" was being set up and they had closed several of the main roads. It was difficult to get to, so I assumed that nothing would be going on.

I was one of only a couple of customers in the place. Only three dancers. There was a young guy, well dressed, that appeared to be the manager on duty. He kept walking into the back and coming out to talk to the dancers. He stopped numerous times at the bar to talk to the other customers. I was there for at least an hour and a half and he never once stopped to say hello. Not sure what the article refers to when it talks about wanting to interact with their customers.

As opposed to the new restaurant that just opened in connection with the Royal Palm. I had sat down no more than 5 min and both on duty managers came over and welcomed me. One making wine and food recommendations. Both of them stopped by my table several times before I left. I ate there every night.

I haven't given up yet on Dudes, but first impressions are often lasting impression.

BVB

What a shame about Dudes not being too great. What you describe seems about what it was like when I was there several years ago. I was hoping that with new owners, they might pull-off a vibe change. I guess not. Was it indeed no smoking??

Thanks for taking one for the team and reporting back.

BVB

What a shame about Dudes not being too great. What you describe seems about what it was like when I was there several years ago. I was hoping that with new owners, they might pull-off a vibe change. I guess not. Was it indeed no smoking??

Thanks for taking one for the team and reporting back.

Yes on that score it was no smoking and was really a clean environment, But there just wasn't anything special about it. Very typical and run of the mill. It didn't have an interesting vibe....I will probably go back since it is so close to the Royal Palms and much closer than Wilton Manors, I think the cab ride was only 4 dollars and change.

But the dancers I saw, I wouldn't take any of them home if they hit on me in a bar, and I knew that it was no-charge.

Yes on that score it was no smoking and was really a clean environment, But there just wasn't anything special about it..

The issue of smoking being allowed in bars and clubs in Florida is a very real problem. I find it unbearable at Johnnys(thankfully Johnnys does not have the sort of dancers I like) and only slightly better at Twist. I didn't notice it so much at Swinging Richards....and Boardwalk I can't even remember (long time since I went there).

If I understand correctly, you are or may bemoving to FTL. If you are a non-smoker, be sure to spend some time at Twist, Boardwalk, and Johnnys (or any other gay bar) to make sure you will be able to stand the atmosphere. I can imagine that for a non-smoking Californian moving to Florida, smoke filled clubs could be a real shock.

Last time I was in Twist, some guys were actually smoking big fat cigars in the cabana where the dancers are. It was awful.

The issue of smoking being allowed in bars and clubs in Florida is a very real problem. I find it unbearable at Johnny's(thankfully Johnny's does not have the sort of dancers I like) and only slightly better at Twist. I didn't notice it so much at Swinging Richards....and Boardwalk I can't even remember (long time since I went there).

If I understand correctly, you are or may bemoving to FTL. If you are a non-smoker, be sure to spend some time at Twist, Boardwalk, and Johnny's (or any other gay bar) to make sure you will be able to stand the atmosphere. I can imagine that for a non-smoking Californian moving to Florida, smoke filled clubs could be a real shock.

Last time I was in Twist, some guys were actually smoking big fat cigars in the cabana where the dancers are. It was awful.

Actually EZE...I know this is hard to believe, but smoke just doesn't bother me. I was at Johnny's the other night for several hours and didn't notice or was not bothered by it at all. I know that second hand smoke is really bad for you, but for me it just didn't bother me, or I should clarify and say that I don't need to leave a place just because there is a lot of smoking. Now a lot of my friends hate the clubs in FL because of the smoking, and the high volume of the music, but neither bother me. I guess I am lucky in that respect.

Actually EZE...I know this is hard to believe, but smoke just doesn't bother me. I was at Johnny's the other night for several hours and didn't notice or was not bothered by it at all. I know that second hand smoke is really bad for you, but for me it just didn't bother me, or I should clarify and say that I don't need to leave a place just because there is a lot of smoking. Now a lot of my friends hate the clubs in FL because of the smoking, and the high volume of the music, but neither bother me. I guess I am lucky in that respect.

Excellent. I just wanted to give you a "heads up" on that issue in case you had not thought about it. Clearly you have, so all is cool. Cheers!

Excellent. I just wanted to give you a "heads up" on that issue in case you had not thought about it. Clearly you have, so all is cool. Cheers!

BTW...I see you are in Florida a lot. Once I am there, we MUST hook up at say SR...now that would be fun!!! OR say Twist, haven't been there yet, but just hangin with you would be a good time. We will talk about that soon though. I think we like similar types? more of the beefy boys? like the boys at SR. Got sick on the last day and had to call off that run to Miami. Next time however....

While in Ft. Lauderdale for one night last weekend, I missed a turn and made a U-turn through the Dudes parking lot. From the outside, it did not appear open.

My hotel was within a couple of blocks. After returning from dinner, I checked with the staff and they knew nothing about the place. Doesn't seem to be marketing itself well either.

BTW...I see you are in Florida a lot. Once I am there, we MUST hook up at say SR...now that would be fun!!! OR say Twist, haven't been there yet, but just hangin with you would be a good time. We will talk about that soon though. I think we like similar types? more of the beefy boys? like the boys at SR. Got sick on the last day and had to call off that run to Miami. Next time however....

Agreed we will have to hook up in Florida once you are situated. I assume you have been following the other thread on SR's? Who knows what their plans will be if the city does start enforcing the 'no nudity with alcohol' rule effective May 16th. They may end up Having to shut down. I'll be in Miami for a few days next week and will swing by SR's to see what I can find out.

Archived