Message Forum Slow to Load

jawjateck
This topic is 4494 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The MF has become slow to download on my laptop; seems to have gotten worse in the last week or so. I don't have any speed issues with any other site that I browse. Just this one. I haven't tried to call it up on my phone or tablet since I prefer to keep all my naughty viewing (hehe) on this device. Has anyone else detected a slower download speed for Hooville?

I haven't noticed any slowdown.

If you've been away for a bit, it's possible you have cached cookies that came from an older version of the software. You could try clearing your browser's history and tossing your cookies.

And, as always, when someone reports a problem we try to reproduce it as part of diagnosing it. We can't repro without knowing what browser (and version) and which operating system (and version) you're using.

I haven't used this laptop much lately, and perhaps I'm just noticing the slowdown on MF because, in the past week, I've been logged on more than usual catching up on happenings around Hooville whilst I was away for a while. It's probably time to clean up the hard drive, delete some stuff, clear history, etc. I assume it's this cranky 4 yr-old computer. If it was a larger problem, I'm sure other loudmouths around here would have spouted off by now. :)

We do watch for performance problems so don't hesitate to speak up when you see them! It was general slowness that tipped Daddy off about the server that failed recently.

A local forum member recently asked to hire me to come to his house and diagnose his performance problems. (No, he can't hire me but I came over as a favor!) Downloads were so slow he was convinced his computer was infected with some sort of virus or malware and it was gumming up the works. I ran all the usual diagnostics and the problem didn't seem to be on his end.

I rebooted his DSL router. Problem solved. Everything was fast again.

You might try that. It doesn't happen often, but they do sometimes get in a state that only a reboot can help.

That's a good idea. I'm probably like a lot of folks who leave the dsl and wifi router powered continuously. I can't remember the last time I turned 'em off. A re-start is probably in order, and as for the modem re-boot, I always thought that was for when catastrophe struck, but that may be in order as well.

Yeah, if you call tech support at Time-Warner Cable the recorded "while you wait" message keeps repeating "If you haven't already rebooted your cable box/modem please do that now and then call back". If you *haven't* done that, when you speak to a tech it's the first thing they ask you to do.

I rebooted his DSL router. Problem solved. Everything was fast again.

You might try that. It doesn't happen often, but they do sometimes get in a state that only a reboot can help.

RESTART cures a multitude of ills -> restart every box with an electrical wire in it from where the Internet hits the house to restarting the computer. I can't tell you how many problems I've solved for friends with the one question, "When's the last time you restarted EVERYTHING?"

Yeah, if you call tech support at Time-Warner Cable the recorded "while you wait" message keeps repeating "If you haven't already rebooted your cable box/modem please do that now and then call back". If you *haven't* done that, when you speak to a tech it's the first thing they ask you to do.
And don't get online with their e-chat bot - that's gotta be the dumbest automated response bot in the world.

TWeChat: Hello, My name is Teresa, how can I help you?

Me: Are you a person?

Me: Are you a live person?

Me: Are you a real live human being?

TWeChat: I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.

Archived