How many times over the holidays did you have to bite your tongue?

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 4201 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

....and what were the circumstances?

For me, it happened twice during my visit to Michigan to see family and, not surprisingly, both times related to politics. All my immediate family members are raging Republicans....so I am the odd one out. Minor political disputes nearly got out of control. I had to bite my tongue in the name of seasonal peace.

Did you have to bite your tongue and keep quiet over something? If so, what happened?

I'm in need of some reassurance that I'm not the only one that faces these stresses during the holidays.

Only once. But it hurt like hell. We were opening presents -- my wife (who I've been out to for two years, but we stay together for now, at least in name only), and my son (who I'm not out to yet). My wife gave me her gift, which was an envelope. It had a picture of a very cute model in it wearing the sweater she was getting for me, but hadn't come in the mail yet. She said this gift is on the way. And I almost blurted out "gee, he's just what I would want". Of course it was a bit awkward leaving the dinner with my wife's family to go spend the rest of christmas day with my partner. I did have to sort of lie to the family about where I was going, but tough.

I really doubt that you are remotely close to the only one facing family stresses during the holiday. Christmas (and Thanksgiving) is made for that.

What is it with all our Republican relatives. I don't mind a little debate now and again, but my relatives just hate hate hate Obama. I actually started to hyper-ventilate at one point and had to go out for some air, but I was in Orange County so I couldn't go far....

Orange County comment is hilarious!!! Thanks for the chuckle.

What is it with all our Republican relatives. I don't mind a little debate now and again, but my relatives just hate hate hate Obama. I actually started to hyper-ventilate at one point and had to go out for some air, but I was in Orange County so I couldn't go far....

Guess I'm lucky I haven't seen any of my relatives in a few years. I have relatives who disowned their children just for marrying someone with different religious beliefs.

My brother lives a hour away haven't seen him in over 7 years

For me it was just the opposite. i usually remain fairly well controlled but on Christmas Eve I was at a supermarket near closing time. They had made several announcements about the upcoming closing, in a countdown manner...we will be closing in 30 minutes....we will be closing in 20 minutes...etc. I finished my shopping just as they reached the 15 minute point in the countdown and was meandering back to the check out area. A young worker came up to me and scolded me in a demeaning voice: We are closing in 15 minutes You Understand THAT don't you? I responded No hablo Ingles. She then said: You GO NOW. The tone the entire tenor of the encounter led me to lose it. I told her she was rude and then in quite a loud voice I said You Understand THAT don't you. I then proceeded to rip her a new one while she implored me to stop yelling. I walked over the to check out and was unpacking at home by check out time.

I havent had a better feeling on Christmas Eve in a long time. My advice, there is no better time to rip someone a new one than Christmas Eve.

My dear Republican Catholic grandmother graced my family's Christmas table this year. My mother has implored me to allow the ancient one to pass from this Earth without knowing of "my gay thing." I'm surprised my tongue is still in one piece after her snide and continual comments about Obama, Seattle weddings, and my chosen profession being "worthless" in the "real world."

Gotta love the holidays.

Lohengrin

LOL on the Orange County politics. Here in Texas, Austin is referred to as a blue dot in a red state. I think the reverse is true of Orange County: it's a red dot in a blue state. LOL

Nothing so far. I have two sisters outstate who share my political views, but the local family is all very Republican - my dad has several of those Obama "expose" books. It's all been very politics-free so far. They're church-goers, I'm not, but nobody gives me any grief when I don't participate in grace before dinner.

What is it with all our Republican relatives. I don't mind a little debate now and again, but my relatives just hate hate hate Obama....

My parents were both liberal FDR/Kennedy Democrats and my brother and sister-in-law have supported Obama since he ran for Senate, so no tongue-biting there. Sis-in-law's family is Republican. When I visit, she encourages me to speak my mind. It is great fun. (We are evil, what can I say?)

Back to the original question...

I have bit my tongue this holiday, but not for political reasons. I'm visiting friends on the East Coast. One of the friends is the poster child for the expression "WTF?" He's a nice guy, but totally clueless. Our mutual friend (who is also visiting) and I made a bet to see who could hold off calling him on his shit for the longest. We are tied, so far.

Archived