New American Airlines Livery

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 4200 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This just in from Adweek

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/new-american-airlines-logo-triggers-ire-and-sense-deja-vu-146659

My favorite is this quote from Vignelli "A designer can only be as good as their clients, therefore the new American Airlines identity doesn’t surprise me much," the 81-year-old tastemaker said. “Clients without [a] sense of history could not understand the value of equity. ... It seems to me that there was no need for American Airlines to undertake such a change, but many people do not understand the difference between design and styling, and believe in change for the sake of change.”

Well said on Vignelli's end. I think he might be commenting on a larger issue as well. As an 81-year-old, I'm sure he's experienced loss of friends and support over the years because of death, age, etc. Maybe Vignelli's commenting on my generation's apathy and lack of general concern for style, tradition or previous generations. As a fellow Italian, I know how important family is. Maybe this is a little off-topic and might require a new thread, but, what of older gay men who may not have raised children that could take care of them in their old age? Do they end up alone? Does it all work out through communal support? Here's to hoping I'm not out of line in positing these questions. Happy Sunday, all!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well said on Vignelli's end. I think he might be commenting on a larger issue as well. As an 81-year-old, I'm sure he's experienced loss of friends and support over the years because of death, age, etc. Maybe Vignelli's commenting on my generation's apathy and lack of general concern for style, tradition or previous generations. As a fellow Italian, I know how important family is. Maybe this is a little off-topic and might require a new thread, but, what of older gay men who may not have raised children that could take care of them in their old age? Do they end up alone? Does it all work out through communal support? Here's to hoping I'm not out of line in positing these questions. Happy Sunday, all!

I don't think it is a generational thing. If you look at the havoc many (not all) companies wrecked in the mid- to late-20th century you see that many members of Vignelli's generation were not that concerned for style, tradition, etc. Regarding the care of the elderly, many high school friends' parents (who are part of his generation) did not take very good care of their own parents.

Interesting, isn't it, that Southwest Airlines turns a profit and somehow manages to inspire their employees to provide generally great service. I wonder if treating their employees with dignity and respect (rather than forcing pay/benefit and furloughs while senior management gets massive bonuses) has anything to do with that? Nahhh!

That and Southwest does not charge fees for checked baggage-upto two pieces per person. United actually charges for peanuts.

• 2 months later...

Doug Parker, the incoming CEO of the new merged AA, has advised employees that the new AA livery and logo are issues that could be revisited during the transition. This leaves the door open for changes to the new livery that has not been particularly well received.

http://skift.com/2013/03/26/american-airlines-new-design-not-a-done-deal-post-merger-says-incoming-ceo/

Doug Parker, the incoming CEO of the new merged AA, has advised employees that the new AA livery and logo are issues that could be revisited during the transition. This leaves the door open for changes to the new livery that has not been particularly well received.

http://skift.com/2013/03/26/american-airlines-new-design-not-a-done-deal-post-merger-says-incoming-ceo/

Interesting, I thought the logo was fine, but then again I tend to care less about paint and more about how well the planes fly...speaking of which, what say you to the new proposed fix and anticipated launch of the 787? I read an article where Boeing admitted that they may never know the cause of the fires. So how can you fix a problem if you don't know what the problem is?

How long before you would feel completely at ease in flying on a 787? Curious.....

Doug Parker is a real dynamo. My feeling is that once the merger is done, things are really going to change. I flew to Palm springs last weekend on American thru Dallas. Its the first time I have used them in 40 years. On my flight out to PS, the plane was late arriving in Dallas, and there was chaos with the staff at the gate. The names of wheelchair customers were called for pre-boarding but no one was there to push them to the plane. The staff then called the first class passengers to board without boarding the wheelchair people. The whole experience really soured me. However, on the way back, all went smoothly and I even got bumped up to first class in Dallas. They really need to work for consistency.

Interesting, I thought the logo was fine, but then again I tend to care less about paint and more about how well the planes fly...speaking of which, what say you to the new proposed fix and anticipated launch of the 787? I read an article where Boeing admitted that they may never know the cause of the fires. So how can you fix a problem if you don't know what the problem is?

How long before you would feel completely at ease in flying on a 787? Curious.....

I'll dig up the old 787 thread and answer on that. BTW.....luv the new Avatar photo!!

Interesting, isn't it, that Southwest Airlines turns a profit and somehow manages to inspire their employees to provide generally great service. I wonder if treating their employees with dignity and respect (rather than forcing pay/benefit and furloughs while senior management gets massive bonuses) has anything to do with that? Nahhh!

I applaud the above quoted material. Horrible new design, extremely horrible service and treatment of its employees. I try to avoid using AA as much as possible. Has not used it in over 2 years now

and have resorted in using Virgin America and Southwest AA for domestic trips and foreign carriers for my international travel.

I fly AA almost every week. No problems with service for most part. I refuse to fly SW where you have to stand in line and hope you might find a good seat. I'm flying first class to Bangkok on Cathay Pacific in a couple of weeks. Thank you AA. southwest gets me a free ticket to Baltimore.

All airlines have good and bad. You need to pick what serves you best.

Archived