Mickey Rooney

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 4176 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

He was seated the row behind me on a flight today. Looking his 93 years I must say but still with that big bright smile on his face. :) It brought a smile to my face. I found out on wiki that he has been married 8 times and that Ava Gardner was his first wife. What an icon. It was great to still see him getting around even at 93 years old. There's hope for the rest of us yet!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was seated the row behind me on a flight today. Looking his 93 years I must say but still with that big bright smile on his face. :) It brought a smile to my face. I found out on wiki that he has been married 8 times and that Ava Gardner was his first wife. What an icon. It was great to still see him getting around even at 93 years old. There's hope for the rest of us yet!!

Well God Bless him....Your post brought a smile to my face as well. I'm guessing you weren't on a 787....;) Took my Dad on a cruise to the Mediterranean when he was 92, so yes I think there is hope for the rest of us.

Rumor has it he's hung like a horse. Of course that rumor may have started from people trying to explain how he landed Ava Gardner. :eek:

I almost bought a condo next door to his, but didn't know that until quite a while after I'd walked away from the negotiations.

Good to hear he's still getting around! He's living proof that childhood celebrity is survivable.

Rumor has it he's hung like a horse. Of course that rumor may have started from people trying to explain how he landed Ava Gardner. :eek:

Good to hear he's still getting around! He's living proof that childhood celebrity is survivable.

According to Wiki, Ava was an unknown when he married her.

Thanks for posting, EZE... hope I am still in good shape at 93 and still able to enjoy some of the finer things in life... men, etc.

Yeah.....no kidding. If I can still take a flight from LAX to MIA at 93 without being horizontal, I would say I was doing pretty good. It warmed my heart to see Mickey today. I'm still on a high!!

Ava Gardner was the most beautiful woman to ever live, IMHO. He must have been doing something right, even though that marriage didn't last long.

T

Until I googled Ava Gardner, I never realized that my mother bore a striking resemblance to her.

Many may not know this but Mickey was the victim of Elder Abuse in recent years. His son took over as his manager and was forcing him to work all kinds of appearances. The son was taking the money and almost literally working Mickey to death. He was finally able to get out of his son's clutches. Mickey testified before Congress about the financial, psychological, and physical abuse the elderly suffer at the hands of family and unscrupulous individuals. He was very brave to speak about this so publicly.

Mickey Rooney is truly a National Treasure. I certainly hope he is enjoying his life these days and is in good health.

Many may not know this but Mickey was the victim of Elder Abuse in recent years. His son took over as his manager and was forcing him to work all kinds of appearances. The son was taking the money and almost literally working Mickey to death. He was finally able to get out of his son's clutches. Mickey testified before Congress about the financial, psychological, and physical abuse the elderly suffer at the hands of family and unscrupulous individuals. He was very brave to speak about this so publicly.

According to several stories on the Internet, Mickey Rooney accused his two step-children from his current marriage (which has lasted over 35 years) of elder abuse. It really gets confusing from there...because his wife apparently took the side of her son. The main point is that it was not one of his nine children.

Mickey Rooney is truly a National Treasure. I certainly hope he is enjoying his life these days and is in good health.

Let's go easy on that story, okay? I have a friend who wrote helped Mickey write his book and he knows Mickey and Jan (his wife) very well. The story is a lot more complicated than the simple way it is being presented above. Mickey has not been "all there" for a number of years and his health has been precarious. There have been internal disputes between various members of the family as often happens with children and step-mothers. No one forced Mickey to make any appearances; his wife Jan runs the show, not the kids. There was a lawsuit filed. Mickey testified. But many people who know the parties think the whole thing was blown out of proportion for a variety of reasons. Everything has since been settled and the family is reconciled. Mickey was never in his "son's clutches." His wife has been there from the beginning.

Mickey Rooney is one of the last of the legends of the 1930s (Shirley Temple and Olivia de Havilland are the other two) and his career and life should be celebrated in every way possible.

According to several stories on the Internet, Mickey Rooney accused his two step-children from his current marriage (which has lasted over 35 years) of elder abuse. It really gets confusing from there...because his wife apparently took the side of her son. The main point is that it was not one of his nine children.

I don't want to go into some of the details but see note below. It involved a number of children from different marriages but you're right about Jan. Sadly, Mickey is not all there all the time and there are those very close to the family who believe that Mick wanted the attention and came up with this crazy story but this is not a case of a child abusing a parent. All the kids and the wife were on one side, and Mick on the other. Jan has been the most stabilizing force in Mick's life, ever, and I do tend to believe her for that reason. I think this whole thing had more to do with other things and almost nothing to do with elder abuse.

If you talk to friends and family, almost to a one they will tell you that Mick was not the victim of any kind of elder abuse. Let's leave it there.

I am glad you posted, operalover, because, as I wrote above, I suspected the story is more complicated that presented here.

I am still confused. If Rooney is not 'all there' how can he make a reasoned judgment about making personal appearance? And more important, what is his wife's role in his life? What do mean when you say "Jan runs the show." I do not know if you meant to imply that his wife may have been involved in elder abuse.

I am glad you posted, operalover, because, as I wrote above, I suspected the story is more complicated that presented here.

I am still confused. If Rooney is not 'all there' how can he make a reasoned judgment about making personal appearance? And more important, what is his wife's role in his life? What do mean when you say "Jan runs the show." I do not know if you meant to imply that his wife may have been involved in elder abuse.

No, I didn't imply that. Jan is his wife, his rock, she's younger. She has the typical role of the spouse. Mickey has good days and he has bad days. He's going to be 93. Most spouses "run the show" in those circumstances. Mick has always been "all over the place" -- and Jan is the kind of person he's needed for the past 35 plus years. She's stable. I don't believe for one minute she would have been involved in anything untoward regarding Mickey.

Archived