Zumanity

Bilbo
This topic is 7823 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I probably won't be getting to Las Vegas for at least a year. (Unless ... hint, hint.) Anyway, I am nevertheless very excited about The Cirque de Soleil's new show that opens next week and would love it if the first few people here who see it would post some interesting and intriguing details.

For one thing, their earlier scores are favorites with a lot of legit masseurs. Would this one be spot on for erotic masseurs?

Aside from Thanksgiving at my Cub's Mom's home and a one or two week trip to upstate New York, I'm not doing any more major traveling this year, unless I'm sent for which I doubt. So I've got plenty of time to dream.

I had heard that Zumanity was being pushed back, but I thought that it was only for one week. But you're probably right. All those techincal thingys have gotta work right or those athletes could die, literally.

Has anyone tried to buy one of the love seats or one of the couches for a gay couple? I can't imagine the circus asking, but I still wonder.

Bilbo,have you already seen "O"?Incredible show.Also the show at treasure Island MYSTERE is really good.Some people balk at the prices,but my opera tix are $147 each-so I do not see what the big deal is.Let's see$120 for an experience which will give you a memory of a liftime,or tix 3 two "headliner"shows which you will forget so very quickly(or wish you could)

This season has really sucked at the LA opera,so Les-I am asking myself the same question.

The last production ,Julie Taymor's production of The Flying Dutchman,was so very bad,and the "sets"were so minimalist as to be a joke.

Lots of regulars are very pissed off at Placido Domingo.He is bringing in some new things-they just are not very good.

Oh,and the seats are row K center,opening night.

BigGuy - No, I haven't seen "O" yet. Nor Mystere. Have heard the score to Mystere so often that I don't really want to see it. Haven't made it to Las Vegas since O opened. It's been on the top of my list but Zumanity looks to replace it there. That plus the Hallelujiah Holliwood, looking for nearly naked dancing boys in a wowzer production, and maybe Ziegfried and Roy since I like magic. BTW, in your opinion, which is the best standard show to see dancing boys in? I want Broadway style hoohah, maybe some Busby Berkely, etc.

The Taymor Flying Dutchman started out at Houston Grand Opera, I think, but I didn't make it. I did know a bear or two in the chorus. I've been very picky with them since a few years back when I was a local reviewer and got stuck seeing Phillip Glass trying to slowly learn composing one trick at a time and never quite getting as far as melody. And the other time when, though the whole opera had some good things in it, the second act everybody going to bed scene in Nixon in China put me to sleep with only my date sitting between me and a reviewer from a German magazine.

Hi Bilbo.Houston Opera has produced a few real gems.Their Porgy and Bess is the finest I have ever seen.And a visiting production of Wosak was fantastic(boy talk about two extremes)

As to John Adams and Phillip Glass,welllllll-I apriciate what they are trying to do-The art form must move forward to survive.But my dear,some of it is such a trog!

Saw Adams' "passion"EL NINO last month-with staging by Peter Sellers.Very Interesting,but I did dose off a few times!

I for one kinda liked NIXON IN CHINA,but it was difficult.A chaque son gout.

The Very Best old timey review in Vegas right now is Jubilee at Ballys,lots of dancing boys.

Sigfried and Roy-welllll lots of neato effects-a cast of hundres(not really-just seemed like it)not a lot of real magic.Lance Burtons show is far more "magic"at half the price(and Burton is much cuter IMO)

Save your money and see "o"

Also,the BLUE MAN GROUP at luxor is a hoot.

'O' is amazing... Plain & simple~

I've seen it close to a dozen times now and everytime i find another layer to focus on. It's really an immensely creative show with truly amazing talent... not to mention some incredibly well-sculpted swimmers on high-dive. Always a highlight.

'Zummanity' is NY-NY's first foray into Cirque and it looks to be something really different that most of what LV has to offer in the way of entertainment. I've got a friend who designs costuming for the company and she tells me it's going to be a show that leaves all sexuality lines crossed. It's not particularily a gay-themed show, but it definately isn't something people can bring their kids to see. I'm looking foward to seeing who they've cast & what bodies they've brought into the production this time. Some of the costume sketches i've seen leave very little to the imagination, both male & female-wise. Add some high-backed loveseats, a round of cocktails & bedroom eyes and you've got an equation for a rowdy evening ;)

Where do i sign up?

Warmest Regards,

Benjamin Nicholas

While I do like high opera, I really prefer opera buffa and the like. Two of my absolute favorite evenings with the HGO were a free performance of The Merry Widow in the park and when, in their opening season at the Wortham theater, they did The Desert Song in one theater and a light Mozart in the other. I can't remember which one. I don't think it was the Abduction from the Seraglio. I think it may have been Le Nozze di Figaro. (I am almost addicted to a few shows. One is The Merry Widow. (Another is The Madwoman of Chaillot and I am overdue to see that again) The most recent Widow I've seen was when Houston Ballet (Ben Stevenson, recently retired, choreographing) (actually not retired per se, still has a title, doesn't choreograph) turned her into a full length ballet. They're doing an evening next season which includes a one act version of Pecos Bill. My own theater has benefited from him, but I do sometimes wonder why PB seems to be the one local hero that our local arts have fixated on.

It sounds a little like Cirque doing "Broadway Bares". An old friend of mine (Joey Arias) is doing the vocals for the show. While I think hes got a great voice, I dont think Ill be using it for massage music.

Going to see "Varekai" this weekend. I watched far too much of "The Fire Within". Im hoping that I havent ruined it for myself.

La Nouba is my favorite show. But I havent seen "O" yet. Perhaps a trip to Vegas is in order.

Guest showme43

jake could use "Weird Al" for massage music and it would still be heaven! ;-)

Rick in Orlando (how's it going buddy?)

Hi Rick I am going to Vegas but to early to see Zumanity. I can tell you will be going with one of your Fav's Dave also someone new who has posted on here. Ben Nicholas. Report card to follow but cehck his site out and get excited. I think he was down your way this weekend. I think you might approve. Let me know. I would not try to steer you wrong... HUGS Chuck:P :p :P :p :P

Archived