My TWA Flight Attendants today

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 4106 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

OK......I was on an AA flight from DTW to MIA today. Both flight attendants working the F cabin were x-TWA ladies (AA bought TWA in early 2001 for those of you that don't know). Obviously they are ladies of a certain age. One of them (who just got off furlough a few months ago) told me she used to work on the TWA Lockheed Constellation many years ago. Wow!! Great service from these gals. They were thrilled to be working. Oh happy day :)

That's nice to hear.... I used to fly TWA a lot and it was wonderful.... until Carl Ican bought it and raped it. He had no interest in running an airline, only interested in how much money he could suck out of the company and how many lives he could ruin. His first major action after he got control of the airline was to sell all the routes to London, Paris and other very profitable routes to Europe to TWA's competitors. From there it was just a matter of time.... and thousands of people lost jobs, savings, retirement funds, etc. If there is anyone who I absolutely wish will end upin HELL, it is Mr. Ican...

my Dad was a captain for TWA starting back in the Connie days and up to the mid-80s and my Mom was a stewardess back in those days (50s) before they got married......really glad to hear your story, EZE....TWA used to be the glamour airline (in a close tie with Pan Am) more than 50 years ago and being owned by Howard Hughes certainly didn't hurt that image.....later, Carl Icahn, lackluster management, deregulation, and the bad Flight 800 accident contributed to its downfall.....so many stories from the old employees....

here's a 1991 video of a restored Connie flying over the old Kansas City Municipal Airport and downtown KC, historic headquarters of TWA

Az/DD,

Thanks to both of you for your comments. Both TW and PA were great carriers in their day. Sadly, by the time I was flying TW and PA (and EA for that matter), they were all pretty lousy. However, one older friend of mine that worked with airlines his whole career (starting with Northeast and the Yellowbird) said TWA was fabuluous and definitely better than PanAm. He says the Ambassadors Club at the airport was 2nd to none......obviously for the time.

I do love aviation and was so thrilled to see these two X-TWA ladies really still enjoying being a Flight Attendant after all these years.

By the way Az....great video!!

Guest boiworship08
That's nice to hear.... I used to fly TWA a lot and it was wonderful.... until Carl Ican bought it and raped it. He had no interest in running an airline, only interested in how much money he could suck out of the company and how many lives he could ruin. His first major action after he got control of the airline was to sell all the routes to London, Paris and other very profitable routes to Europe to TWA's competitors. From there it was just a matter of time.... and thousands of people lost jobs, savings, retirement funds, etc. If there is anyone who I absolutely wish will end upin HELL, it is Mr. Ican...

Carl Icahn, classic plutocrat wrecker.

I missed those golden days of yore. My 1st flight was in 1974. I was 13. It was only a 45 to 50 minute flight to Dallas. I was so excited. It was either a birthday or Bar Mitzvah gift. I remember dressing up in slacks and a sports coat probably. In those days most average people bought stand-by fares as confirmed tickets were more expensive. And as far as I know, most people made it on. I made it on. But ended up in the smoking section. My seat mate was a young mother with a baby I think still in a bassinet. Can you imagine- poor baby being stuck in the smoking section.

In my late 30's I had the privilege of flying Midwest Airlines. All seats on the regular Midwest- maybe not their small Express planes were 2 across- and the seats were padded well and comfortable. Not too mention there was real food and a warm Cooky. Strangely enough for all that extra service - it was often just the same price or cheaper as taking American Airlines. Here's to the memory of those great carriers-Pan Am, TWA, EA, and even though only a regional airline Midwest ( it would have been nice when Republic took it over, if they had they had made themselves more like Midwest instead of ruining Midwest to make it more like no frills Republic).

Gman

We flew internationally on TWA several times when I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s. My dad had a lot of miles from business travel, so we were able to fly first.

I still remember how big the seats were and how much food there was: maybe seven courses, always with caviar. They also served sorbet in between courses.

Archived