Roundabout Theatre's Cabaret

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 3808 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw the Roundabout Theatre production of Cabaret this evening. I thought it was great. Until now I had only seen the film and never the play. This production, while not without some issues in my opinion, was a wonderful introduction to the play. I will probably try to see it again.

That said, who is this Bill Heck who played Cliff Bradshaw? He's easy on the eye. And the musicians: wow. Too many cuties to name.

A good evening and I highly recommend it.

• 1 month later...

Saw this tonight, the last night before it opens, and the cast was on fire.

I have seen numerous productions of this show...and it never ceases to amaze me what a strong piece of theater it is. The first act so bawdy and fun...gin and coke and sex with...everyone. And then everything goes to Hell...pretty literally...at an engagement party, no less.

Alan Cumming is so extraordinary in this role. I was fascinated with his Macbeth last year, but here he is, back in this amazing part, seducing one and all with his half-lidded stare, and the curl of smoke around his face.

Michelle Williams did what Natasha Richardson did years ago...makes the role so layered and extraordinary, and her singing is so much more than I expected.

Danny Burstein can do no wrong. One of the most oft-working men in town.

And Linda Emond broke my heart/and made me want to slap her.

Bill Heck has been a favorite of mine since I saw him do Horton Foote's Orphan Home Cycle at the Signature several years ago. I would go watch him read the phone book. (But could he please do it nekkid?)

This production is just about perfect...I heard a woman behind me complaining that it's such a dark subject, and I thought "nothing that takes place in Berlin in 1929-30 can be dark enough." I hope they can get a lot of young theater-goers and students in to see this...although I roll my eyes to imagine that folks would complain there's too much sex. LOL

And yes, even the orchestra is beautiful.

I'm going to the opening but I have a bootleg of one of the previews that I've listened to. At least vocally, the whole thing seemed rather underwhelming. It may be a case of needing the visuals to go with it. That's often the case these days when vocal goods are in such short supply.

MrMiniver must have been there tonight! Cabaret...oops, The Roundabout Theater's Cabaret, opened tonight. The reviews are good to great! Life is a cabaret after all!

From didhelikeit.com:

Synopsis: Based on a book by Christopher Isherwood, Cabaret tells the story of a seedy nightclub in 1930’s Berlin where a young English performer strikes up a relationship with an American writer, all while a zealous Master of Ceremonies commands the action at the Kit Kat Klub.

Review Summaries, with links to the full reviews: http://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/cabaret-reviews.html

It is much better with the visuals. I quite enjoyed it. But, vocally, the cast doesn't have that much to offer. I'm also, frankly, pretty tired of Alan Cumming's schtick. He's been doing it for 20 years. Time for a new act :)

agree. sure it's a different take on the role but no one, not even cumming, comes close to joel grey

agree. sure it's a different take on the role but no one' date=' not even cumming, comes close to joel grey[/quote']

Sure, I agree too. But with so many revivals and many cast changes throughout long run of musicals like "Cabaret," "Chicago," and "Gypsy" and plays such as "Raison in the Sun" and "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof," the concept of the original performer "owning" a role is harder and harder to justify. And you have to be old to have seen the original casts of all three musicals I mentioned (I did see the original casts of "Cabaret," "Chicago," and "Gypsy" and freely admit to being old).

I did get to see Joel Grey do it in the first big revival in the late 80s. I remember being so excited to seeing him, because I love him in the film. But it was tough for him to live up to himself. I wish I'd seen him do it onstage before I saw the film. He was younger, and the film was well, a film. A completely different animal.

Thank heavens that performance has been captured.

An interesting idea for another thread...great performances that were captured: Rex Harrison/Henry Higgins; Robert Preston/Music Man; Zero Mostel/Pseudolus vs. great performances that weren't: Zero Mostel/Tevye; Julie Andrews/Eliza Doolittle; Angela Lansbury/Mame.

I did get to see Joel Grey do it in the first big revival in the late 80s. I remember being so excited to seeing him, because I love him in the film. But it was tough for him to live up to himself. I wish I'd seen him do it onstage before I saw the film. He was younger, and the film was well, a film. A completely different animal.

Thank heavens that performance has been captured.

An interesting idea for another thread...great performances that were captured: Rex Harrison/Henry Higgins; Robert Preston/Music Man; Zero Mostel/Pseudolus vs. great performances that weren't: Zero Mostel/Tevye; Julie Andrews/Eliza Doolittle; Angela Lansbury/Mame.

Yes, it is a good idea. Another possibility would be movie performances vs. stage performances. For example, I saw "My Fair Lady" on film and a revival of "My Fair Lady" with Rex Harrison, when he was too old to play the part. So film wins. Or Barbra Streisand in "Funny Girl," Broadway vs. film. In later case, I liked "Funny Girl" better on-stage than on film.

Archived