What should I see next?

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 3766 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are several plays I have not seen but would like to see.

Casa Valentino (sp?) is recommended by a good friend whom I trust. The Unrealistic Jones is supposed to be good, too. I look forward to seeing Kenneth Branagh in MacBeth and now It's Only A Play has appeared on my radar. Any thoughts?

For reference, I've seen Cabaret, Mothers and Sons, Act One, Satchmo at the Waldorff, and the Cripple of Inishman. I've enjoyed them all.

Thanks.

Doe be Doe, it looks like you are pretty good at picking shows, if what you have already seen is any indication. The Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder is at the top of most lists. Because people react so individually to a play, it takes a while for a consensus to develop on what is worth seeing. The City of Conversation seems to have passed muster. Some of us did not like The Realistic Joneses and Casa Valentino. I've already made my bet on It's Only A Play, but I would also suggest This Is Our Youth, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, and perhaps the new version of On The Town. Whatever you see, I hope that you will review it here.

I bought a single ticket for Hedwig about 10 days ago. They are in very short supply unless you want to take out a second mortgage on your house. The best I could do was August 3rd at 3pm in the 3rd row center of the mezzanine. All those 3's! hope that's a good sign. Ticket was $144, a bit more than I'm used to paying. I'm hoping NPH does not run out of steam by then. Curious to see if it will be extended.

I bought a single ticket for Hedwig about 10 days ago. They are in very short supply unless you want to take out a second mortgage on your house. The best I could do was August 3rd at 3pm in the 3rd row center of the mezzanine. All those 3's! hope that's a good sign. Ticket was $144, a bit more than I'm used to paying. I'm hoping NPH does not run out of steam by then. Curious to see if it will be extended.

Saw it from the 2nd row center mezzanine. You will have a great view unless a giant sits in front of you! I can't imagine that NPH would dial down his performance (up there with Merman in Gypsy and Streisand in Funny Girl, in my opinion). Won't surprise me if he doesn't extend....it has to be one of the most physically challenging roles I have ever seen.

This is one of those shows where I got lucky. I paid full-price, then $137, but I sat in the third row of the orchestra. On the side, yes, but also on the aisle. I bought way ahead of time, just as I am doing for It's Only A Play, where I am in the second row of the orchestra.

Saw it from the 2nd row center mezzanine. You will have a great view unless a giant sits in front of you! I can't imagine that NPH would dial down his performance (up there with Merman in Gypsy and Streisand in Funny Girl, in my opinion). Won't surprise me if he doesn't extend....it has to be one of the most physically challenging roles I have ever seen.

I have not seen "Hedwig" yet, but badly want to. I did see "Gypsy" and "Funny Girl," two very difficult roles for the star. Merman stayed for the entire Broadway run and the road tour -- a few months less than three years. Streisand did "Funny Girl" on Broadway and London, so that's at least two years and probably longer. I agree "Hedwig" is tougher though, but not by a huge amount. Merman was fifty-one years old when "Gypsy" opened, and never did an original Broadway musical again -- because she never wanted to work that hard a second time. And Streisand never appeared on Braodway again after "Funny Girl." I hope we see NPH again on Broadway!

As you may have observed, from reading these posts, I enjoyed "Casa Valentina" very much, and so did most of my friends. I have not seen "The Unrealistic Joneses" because the reviews indicated that it would be too Pinteresque for my tastes. All I can tell you is that most of my friends who saw it disliked it.

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night is a must see. Saw the National Theater Live broadcast and plan on seeing it again when it arrives on Broadway.

Don't know how much longer it's running but The Few down at the Rattlestick is worth a visit.

I purchased a single 3rd row mezz ticket last weekend on TeleCharge for Hedwig @ $152. Performance date is next Friday night.

BUT speaking of rip offs, anyone else jump to the computer last Sunday when the Amex presale began for Hugh Jackman's The River? The play, at Circle In The Square, will open in late October. By time I got around to looking at the available seats it was a miserable choice. Forget center or anything remotely having a good sight line. I played around with some dates and finally I got a decent seat, but sale? What sale? By the time I finished the transaction I was $186 poorer. Hugh better sit ion my lap for that price! This play better be good!

ED

Archived