Bad news from the Boardwalk and Swinging Richards

bigvalboy
This topic is 3646 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For all those traveling to and living in South Florida and Broward county, there is some unsettling news. First of all, the Boardwalk has removed the curtains in the VIP rooms. The area is not very private anymore, although the rooms to the back are still fairly dark. Tipping out the attendant, will guarantee you won't be disturbed, so long as things don't go too far. He will turn his back to most indiscretions.

The second news is that I was at Swinging Richards, and two things have changed. Undercover cops were in on Friday night. They were spotted by Travis, the front door attendant, and he quickly alerted all the dancers, who then retreated to the back and wouldn't come out. A couple of the cops tried to solicit the dancers who were on stage at the time, into going home for a fee, which of course would have been prostitution. It killed business for the night, so tonight everyone was really nervous and it was hands off.

The other news out of Swinging Richards is that numerous employees and dancers told me that the club has been sold. Atlanta apparently has been carrying the Pompano club financially for several months. While I can't confirm this, it was what everyone in the club was talking about. Some of the dancers that I know on a personal level, have said that business has not been good for quite awhile. Apparently the new owner has been in several times and plans on keeping it a strip club, but will do a name change and some remodeling.

If I hear of anything that is more definitive, I will post the news, but as of tonight everyone I talked to would not divulge any real details about the sale. The whole vibe of the club was pretty dismal. Since business is bad, with many of the customers barely tipping, some of the dancers wouldn't even go on stage. Looks like it will be a wait and see.

Thanks for the post. I went to SR on Wednesday night around 9:00 and the place was pretty empty. (I know, it was too early in the evening) When I left at 11:00, the pace had picked up and there were more customers, but the place was by no means full. The customers were tipping, but I saw no one partake in a lap dance in the back.

I also went to Boardwalk but did not go to the back, so I didn't notice the curtains. I left because my gaydar indicated to me that all the dancers that night were straight, and that isn't something I enjoy.

BTW, what amount is customary to tip the attendant?

Finally, is there any new scuttlebutt about the sale or move of Johnny's?

Thanks again, BVB. I know you keep your ear to the pavement, and are reliable in reporting any new happenings.

For all those traveling to and living in South Florida and Broward county, there is some unsettling news. First of all, the Boardwalk has removed the curtains in the VIP rooms. The area is not very private anymore, although the rooms to the back are still fairly dark. Tipping out the attendant, will guarantee you won't be disturbed, so long as things don't go too far. He will turn his back to most indiscretions...
-1 (does that mean what I want it to mean -- something like :(?)

Any word on why? Were they hassled by the cops? Did customers complain about what the dancers did to them back there :)?

Thanks for the post. I went to SR on Wednesday night around 9:00 and the place was pretty empty. (I know, it was too early in the evening) When I left at 11:00, the pace had picked up and there were more customers, but the place was by no means full. The customers were tipping, but I saw no one partake in a lap dance in the back.

I also went to Boardwalk but did not go to the back, so I didn't notice the curtains. I left because my gaydar indicated to me that all the dancers that night were straight, and that isn't something I enjoy.

BTW, what amount is customary to tip the attendant?

Finally, is there any new scuttlebutt about the sale or move of Johnny's?

Thanks again, BVB. I know you keep your ear to the pavement, and are reliable in reporting any new happenings.

Nothing to report on the sale, except to say that the owner, in my opinion has really let the place run down. It is absolutely filthy, and the bathrooms are disgusting. OK they were never really very clean, but it is noticeably declining.

-1 (does that mean what I want it to mean -- something like :(?)

Any word on why? Were they hassled by the cops? Did customers complain about what the dancers did to them back there :)?

Not a word. My friend first told me, and I dropped by on Friday to see. It could have been the cops, but I asked several people and nobody seems to have an answer. I still hold out hope that it is temporary. Time will tell.

Not a word. My friend first told me, and I dropped by on Friday to see. It could have been the cops, but I asked several people and nobody seems to have an answer. I still hold out hope that it is temporary. Time will tell.

Not too surprised to hear that SR has been struggling...especially during the summer months in S. Florida. It's off the beaten path location doesn't help either. Maybe with the influx of snowbirds for the winter, it can get a much needed re-boot ...keeping my fingers crossed.

As one of my favorite human beings in existence, I feel I should offer condolences to BVB lol. My type of guy usually is at Johnny's so I guess none of this stuff effects me much... but 4th quarter numbers for the south Florida economy will surely plummet if BVB stays home!

Thanks for the update, BVB. Bad news indeed!

I'm heading down to South Fl this weekend so hope to check out BW. I thought the quality of the dancers was actually improving there, and with the approaching busy season, I thought it would continue to get better. The lack of curtains can't be good for the dancers. I wonder if they lowered the price of the VIP dances given the new changes. I'll post if I hear anything new after my visit.

Unfortunately, the scuttlebutt from Richard's in Atlanta isn't much better- my last visit, I talked with a favorite who was leaving. The rumour mill is that a developer has been purchasing all the surrounding properties, and that the club's land lease was not being renewed. He expected the place to be closed and torn down within the next few months. Although this performer has been a bit of a blowhard in the past, there was always a truthful basis in what we had discussed before concerning different business activities in the industry. So, at least the possibility arises that he may be right- hope it's not so, but we'll have to see what happens!

Unfortunately, the scuttlebutt from Richard's in Atlanta isn't much better- my last visit, I talked with a favorite who was leaving. The rumour mill is that a developer has been purchasing all the surrounding properties, and that the club's land lease was not being renewed. He expected the place to be closed and torn down within the next few months. Although this performer has been a bit of a blowhard in the past, there was always a truthful basis in what we had discussed before concerning different business activities in the industry. So, at least the possibility arises that he may be right- hope it's not so, but we'll have to see what happens!

This is interesting news, in that it coincides with the 'reported' sale of Swinging Richard's in Fort Lauderdale. Perhaps we are seeing an end, to what were once two great clubs, or perhaps a consolidation or revamping of the operation.

the news keeps getting worse

........and if the news of the removal of the curtains in Boardwalk's Lap Dance room isn't bad enough, last week Boardwalk lost its Golden Girl.

Long-time, legendary, iconic drag queen extraordinaire and tranny to the stars, Auntie Mame passed away :( :

http://floridaagenda.com/2014/09/19/auntie-mame-has-passed-away/

Bozo

........and if the news of the removal of the curtains at Boardwalk isn't bad enough, last week Boardwalk lost its Golden Girl.

Long time drag queen extraordinaire and tranny to the stars, Auntie Mame passed away :( :

http://floridaagenda.com/2014/09/19/auntie-mame-has-passed-away/

Bozo

Absolutely shocked. She was my neighbor for the first few months after I moved here. What a hoot she was. Sad sad news indeed. "Time marches on"...God bless her, and may she rest in peace.

Just so you know... CB Jones, who owns both swinging richards locations owns the land and the building in atlanta as well as the building and parking lot across the street. What he doesn't own is the land behind the club where the dancers parked... And the owner of that land has told them they can't use it anymore.

As for richards atlanta... On the weekends they put 300 to 400 through the door on Fridays and Saturdays with a ten dollar cover charge. That's before the liquor, vip loung and vip rooms. The have some issues but the atlanta club generates lots of money. Btw - I was there Friday night. The lineup was outstanding. I've been to just about every strip club in North America. Friday the lineup was as good or better than anything you will see anywhere else

Just so you know... CB Jones, who owns both swinging richards locations owns the land and the building in atlanta as well as the building and parking lot across the street. What he doesn't own is the land behind the club where the dancers parked... And the owner of that land has told them they can't use it anymore.

As for richards atlanta... On the weekends they put 300 to 400 through the door on Fridays and Saturdays with a ten dollar cover charge. That's before the liquor, vip loung and vip rooms. The have some issues but the atlanta club generates lots of money. Btw - I was there Friday night. The lineup was outstanding. I've been to just about every strip club in North America. Friday the lineup was as good or better than anything you will see anywhere else

Have you heard anyone in Atlanta discussing the Pompano location, as to it possible sale?

Thank you, let's hope he can turn things around in Pompano.

Agreed. And they can start by bringing back the private, curtained-off lap dance areas in the back of the club. They should have NEVER turned that section of the club into a VIP area.

In addition, they can make the club smoke free. Sidelines, The Manor, and Alibi are all smoke free. They have thrived. There is no logical reason why Swinging Richards can't go that route. Any customer that wants to develop emphysema or die prematurely from a slow painful death due to cancer or congestive heart failure can go outside the club to light up..... No need to make the rest of us breathe in their poisons.

Bozo

I made it to BW on Sunday evening, and it was pretty slow (even for a Sunday and being off-season). Indeed the curtains are gone and neither of the dancers I did a private with could really tell me why. One didn't know and another one said that another dancer in the club got arrested after showing an undercover cop his junk in the bar area. The 2 rooms in the back of the dance area face each other. So hypothetically, while you are seated getting a VIP dance, you can see directly into the booth across from you and see the other dancer/patron. Thankfully I was the only patron in the back area when I used them but I can imagine it being really awkward and not private whenever that area is busy. The back area also has a new (to me) bouncer - much different that the creepy kid before. This guy is big - about 6'3" 230. I heard him reprimand one of the dancers because the dancer didn't tip him.

Additionally, there is a new sign with rules for the back area - it reminds me of sign outside a public pool with all the rules. I didn't get to read them, too many and I didn't want to stop and stare. However, each of the not-so-private rooms each have a sign that reads "This is a private room you are being provided for an erotic dance not for sexual activity, to be safe your hands should remain about the belly button at all times. If there is any talk of sexual activity, drugs (the use or sale of) or prostitution of any sort, you will be asked to leave immediately." I took a pic of the sign. I would imagine the lack of curtains and new signage would really impact how much the dancers' can make.

I made it to BW on Sunday evening...each of the not-so-private rooms each have a sign that reads "This is a private room you are being provided for an erotic dance not for sexual activity, to be safe your hands should remain about the belly button at all times. If there is any talk of sexual activity, drugs (the use or sale of) or prostitution of any sort, you will be asked to leave immediately." ....
Those who have been to Stock Bar will recall similar signs. More honored in the breach than in the observance, I would say...

I stopped by the Boardwalk to try and get some feedback about the loss of the curtains. Most were very tight lipped about what caused them to be removed, but one bartender told me that a dancer had gotten in trouble in the back with undercover cops. He assured me that the removal was only temporary, but management was 'very' unfriendly, almost to the point of being rude. Business is down, and very few dancers, at least the night I went. I hope it doesn't go the way of Swinging Richard's. For myself, I have become increasingly unenthusiastic about the BW. Time will tell on this one.

Archived