AOL not accpting delivery of emails.

theDCeBOY
This topic is 7593 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

have AOL's anti-spam measures become overkill?

i get lots of email enquiries from men4rentnow. when i reply to someone, it invariably bounces back if that person is an aol subscriber. the message with the bounced email is this:

"SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:

host mailin-04.mx.aol.com [205.188.156.154]: 554 TRANSACTION FAILED 554 AOL will not accept delivery of this message"

this is really frustrating. most of the guys don't include a phone number for me to contact them via any other means than aol. i guess i'll have to put a notice on my website, but i thought i'd mention it here as well.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ncm2169

P.S.

From your M4RN profile:

< I'm cute, smart, funny, and charming, with a bit of an edge >

So I've noticed. }(

BTW, is it REALLY real? OMG!:+

Guest ncm2169

No response here yet.

< you noticed what? the bit of an edge? >

Ummm...let's just say we might have fun matching edge for edge in repartee. It takes a lot more than you've displayed here recently to scare me off. }(

i'm not trying to scare anyone off. i just refuse to be intimidated.

anyway, my first responce to your m4rn message hasn't bounced. i responded to your "nothing yet" email though, and my responce that time did bounce.

is anyone else having trouble sending emails to aol accounts?

Guest ncm2169

< i'm not trying to scare anyone off. i just refuse to be intimidated >

Me too. That's why we'd have fun. ;-) Unless, of course, you can't take what you dish out. :+

Seriously, are you saying that your response to my M4RN email didn't bounce, but your response to my email to your site did?? If so, that's odd. x(

Two things:

1) The average AOL user has no freaking clue they're actually using the internet. So they don't know they need to turn off the default "reject non-AOL mail" setting. (It's one of HooBoy's constant aggravations when verifying reviews. He used to actually post daily counts of bounced emails, the lion's share of which were AOL accounts not set up to accept outside mail.)

2) AOL is well known for "witch hunt" campaigns. THEY may be blocking YOU. If some disgruntled former client (or stalker) really wanted to be a pest, a pretty good way would be to complain to AOL about you and get your address blocked. All of AOL would be off limits, mail-wise.

If it's the former, there's not much you can do. They haven't opened the door.

If it's the latter you may be able to write to someone at AOL to find out what's up but I'll defer to an AOL member to tell you who. I've never been a member and don't ever intend to be.

Guest ncm2169

< So they don't know they need to turn off the default "reject non-AOL mail" setting >

Deej, I've been getting email all day long from non-AOL members, including yahoo and hotmail addys. Must be some other glitch? :-(

>Seriously, are you saying that your response to my M4RN email

>didn't bounce, but your response to my email to your site

>did?? If so, that's odd. x(

I can see it happening. M4RN could be playing funky games with headers so that all correspondence initiated by their site is routed through them, including replies. They'd then forward the reply to AOL, so it wouldn't be coming from Ethan's domain.

This actually reinforces #2 in my other post in this thread.

>AOL 9.0

>sends all e-mails with the word Virgin directly to Spam.

AOL isn't the only carrier routinely nuking emails without asking you.

Spam (and customer complaints about it) has gotten so bad that providers are going overboard to provide "spam protection". As always, the pendulum will swing WAY to the conservative before relaxing into a zone that actually works for a while.

And by then, spammers will have devised other ways around the blocks that are in place. :-(

I know I've started using my Verizon account to send e-mail to AOL people because I wasn't convinced my Hotmail was always getting through (I know it did sometimes, but other times I'm not so sure). I've read of other issues with communication between AOL accounts and other accounts. It's frustrating, because sometimes (as you may have found out firsthand) I don't even think you get notified that your e-mail bounced. :(

i'm not sure deej. if you just click "reply" on a m4rn enquiry, it goes to a generic email address at m4rn & you get a reply that you should contact the client directly. to reply correctly in the first place, you have to copy & paste the client's email address into the "to" field. i don't think this is m4rn's doing.

>2) AOL is well known for "witch hunt" campaigns. THEY may be

>blocking YOU. If some disgruntled former client (or stalker)

>really wanted to be a pest, a pretty good way would be to

>complain to AOL about you and get your address blocked. All of

>AOL would be off limits, mail-wise.

hehe... i wouldn't be at ALL surprised if i managed to piss someone off there! }(

it is a gift... what can i say?

Guest ncm2169

FWIW, when I email Ethan from my AOL account, whether it's "channeled" through M4RN or sent directly to his email at his website, he receives my email, but his responses bounce. On the other hand, when I email him from my Yahoo account, either through M4RN or direct to his website, he receives it and I receive his responses. Go figure! x(

there is no way for it to be channeled through m4rn if you're opening a new email & entering my address. the problem has nothing to do with m4rn. either i've been specifically blocked from emailing folks at aol, or aol's spam reduction software is kicking me out. either way, folks need to use something else to contact me.

Guest ncm2169

Just to clarify, if I email anyone on M4RN, it does not open a new email. It simply allows me to use their format to send you an email. Big difference.

Archived