Anyone else been raped by Bill Cosby?

This topic is 3027 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If Cosby didn't want embarrassing details to emerge, maybe he shouldn't have drugged and raped people.

PHILADELPHIA –

"It would be terribly embarrassing for this material to come out," lawyer George M. Gowen III argued.

"It would be terribly embarrassing for this material to come out" ... yep.

Caso cerrado.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From that Guardian article linked above:

Cosby’s lawyers argued that the unsealing of the documents would be “terribly embarrassing” for their client, the AP reported in June. But, on Monday, their request was granted by judge Eduardo Robreno.

Explaining his decision to release the papers, Robreno is scathing about Cosby’s claim that he had a right to privacy. He said that Cosby had “donned the mantle of public moralist and mounted the proverbial electronic or print soap box to volunteer his views on, among other things, childrearing, family life, education, and crime. To the extent that Defendant has freely entered the public square and thrust himself into the vortex of th[ese] public issues he has voluntarily narrowed the zone of privacy that he is entitled to claim.”

Robreno said the public had a “significant interest” in the “stark contrast between Bill Cosby, the public moralist and Bill Cosby, the subject of serious allegations concerning improper (and perhaps criminal) conduct”.

The judge concludes: “The nature of the allegations – sex, drugs, seduction, etc – do not cloak this case, including the depositions of one of the parties, with an automatic, or per se, seal of silence.”

http://news.yahoo.com/judd-apatow-cosby-quaaludes-142328895.html

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/kTf1Dw0F0XHSSYr01K.wOg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTM3NztpbD1wbGFuZTtweG9mZj01MDtweW9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz02NzA-/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/news/2015-07-07/248c6790-24b5-11e5-815b-3b545e961973_apatow-cosby-collage.jpg .

View photo

Judd Apatow: ‘We shouldn't need Bill Cosby to admit it’

Director wonders why we need comedian’s admission to believe alleged victims

http://media.zenfs.com/208/2011/06/21/blogger-stableford-40_041211.jpg

By Dylan Stableford 2 hours ago Yahoo News

Bill Cosby’s admission that he gave Quaaludes to at least one woman he wanted to have sex with — a revelation in a 2005 deposition that was unsealed Monday — is being viewed as a damning corroboration by his many accusers.

But director Judd Apatow, one of the most vocal critics of Cosby in Hollywood, says we shouldn’t need the 77-year-old comedian to admit guilt to believe his alleged victims.

I don’t think there is anything new here,” Apatow said in a statement to Esquire. “It is only new to people who didn’t believe an enormous amount of women who stated clearly that he drugged them.”

Cosby has been accused of sexual assault by more than two dozen women, including many who say he drugged and raped them in strikingly similar encounters over a four-decade span. Lawyers for Cosby have denied the allegations, and he has never been criminally charged.

“The women have been saying they’ve been drugged and abused, and these documents appear to support the allegations,” Joe Cammarata, a lawyer for one of Cosby’s accusers, told the Associated Press.

Apatow said: “We shouldn’t need Bill Cosby to admit it to believe forty people who were victimized by him. I am sure there are many victims who have not come forward. Maybe now more people in show business and all around our country will stand up and tell the people he attacked that ‘we support you and believe you.’”

He added: “I also hope Camille Cosby and Phylicia Rashad will now stand with the victims, and not with their attacker.”

In an interview with ABC News in January, Rashad, Cosby’s co-star on “The Cosby Show,” said there was been a rush to judgment by the media.

“This is not about the women,” Rashad said. “This is about something else. This is about the obliteration of a legacy.”

Bill Cosby's first sex assault accuser asks judge to make public all his testimony

Andrea Constand asks judge to release his entire deposition from her lawsuit to help other alleged victims and raise awareness of the use of drugs in assaults

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/09/bill-cosbys-first-sex-assault-accuser-asks-judge-to-make-public-all-his-testimony

Andrea Constand asks judge to release his entire deposition from her lawsuit to help other alleged victims and raise awareness of the use of drugs in assaults

I give Bruce Castor credit for speaking out. He was the Mongomery county, Pennsylvania DA in the case. He is a conservative Republican. Castor has said many times on TV and in the media that he believed Cosby was guilty, but there was not enough evidence

is speaks for itself. In this specific case, I passionately disagree with her, but her point is a valid one, and all of us should listen to what she is saying.

In response to Whoopi, I have a close friend who was accused of using her position as executive director of a housing non-profit to steal money from the agency. I was working for the City of Philadelphia at the time, so I had access to the prosecution's case and the defense's rebutal before the trial. Both sides had good cases. I could not speak publicly because of my position with the City of Philadelphia. And I shy away from publicity, so I would not have said anything under other circumstances. And I did not know whether or not the executive director was guilty.

She was found innocent by the jury at the trial.

Whoopi made some good point about Cosby not going to trial and the dangers African-American men face in our legal system. But, she voiced those views too strongly. If she is defending Cosby due to her friendship, Whoopi gets some credit. But, she is strongly implying that Cosby is innocent. That has not been proven either in a court of law. Cosby's lawyer are doing the right things in thinking about a response, rather than just speaking out at random, like Whoopi.

Whoopi made some good point about Cosby not going to trial and the dangers African-American men face in our legal system. But, she voiced those views too strongly. If she is defending Cosby due to her friendship, Whoopi gets some credit. But, she is strongly implying that Cosby is innocent. That has not been proven either in a court of law. Cosby's lawyer are doing the right things in thinking about a response, rather than just speaking out at random, like Whoopi.

I agree with you completely. Personally I think the evidence is irrefutable against Cosby, so I disagree with her plea, but understand why she is saying it.

‘Cosby Show’ Actor Declares, ‘Of Course Bill Cosby Is Guilty!’

The Wrap

Tim Kenneally 2 hours 34 minutes ago

The rising chorus of voices rising up against scandal-plagued comedian Bill Cosby has increased by one.

Former “The Cosby Show” actor Joseph C. Phillips, who played Denise Huxtable’s husband Lt. Martin Kendall on the NBC sitcom, has pointed a finger at his former TV father-in-law in a column on his website titled, “Of Course Bill Cosby Is Guilty!”

In the lengthy blog post, Phillips recalls that, during his “Cosby Show” tenure, “my attitude was that if Bill was cheating on [his wife] Camille, I am fairly certain Camille knew. Hey, if everyone who claimed to know actually knew, then certainly Camille knew, and had long ago made her peace with it.”

He added, “I never saw Bill engage in any inappropriate behavior. I certainly never saw him drug anyone. So, all I have is the same gossip as everyone else.”

Phillips noted that his attitude took a turn as the accusations began to dominate headlines and he ran into an “old friend” that Cosby had served as a “mentor” to:

The question popped into my head.

“Hey, do you mind if I ask you something?”

She looked at me and then asked, “Is it going to make me cry?”

I was a bit taken aback. “Well,” I stammered. “I hope it doesn’t make you cry.”

She smiled. “Go ahead and ask your question.”

“Back in the day,” I started. “I remember that you knew Bill – that he was like your mentor or something. Did he ever…”

Before I finished the sentence, she began to cry.

We spent the next two hours sitting on a bench talking. Through tears, she told me her story. She cursed him for violating both her trust and her body. She cursed herself for not being smarter, and for degrading herself in pursuit of success. I listened patiently. As she began to run out of steam, she turned to me. “Do you believe me?”

“Yes.” I said. “I believe you.”

“Why?” she asked.

“Because I don’t believe that you are crazy and only a crazy person would sit with me all this time and share a fantasy.”

I am not sure if our conversation was cathartic for her. I know it was heart-breaking for me.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/cosby-show-actor-declares-course-bill-cosby-guilty-200545435.html

Guest Starbuck

Apparently Whoopi has changed her tune.

Whatever friendship she has (or had) with Cosby is not enough of a firewall against his MANY accusers. Or maybe it was his own admission of buying drugs to use on women he wanted to have sex with that changed her mind and/or turned her stomach.

I guess, in a way, she represents the public-at-large, we who embraced the Cosby we thought we knew.

Sad, sad, sad. For all of us who were duped by him, but especially for the women who were victimized and never thought they would be believed.

I think the whole thing with this is that this was the death of an icon. I a lot of people are feeling a loss, like when a lifelong political figure or a beloved celebrity dies. Only this type of loss is one that will be felt as betrayal. Many of us listened to Cosby's comedy albums (which were very funny), watched his various tv shows and saw positive things he was doing. He was very revered by many people and to find out that he is most likely guilty of all of those acts is very hard for people to swallow.

It is a shame that the woman who were victimized will not be able to have their day in a court of law but sometimes the court of public opinion can be far worse.

Whoopi Goldberg Flip-Flops on Bill Cosby: ‘All of the Information … Points to Guilt’ (Video)

http://www.thewrap.com/whoopi-goldberg-flip-flops-on-bill-cosby-all-of-the-information-points-to-guilt-video/

I understand what she was trying to say, but in this case, her reasoning that she didn't realize that all his accusers couldn't bring him to court because of the statute of limitations, and thus he theoretically could never have his day in court, (her position that he is "innocent until proven guilty") is insulting. She's a bright woman, the media has been reporting about the problem with the statute of limitations since day one. Her sudden realization was unconvincing. It's pathetic really.

After you click the video to play it will go black...just click it again, and the video will play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cic3OD_ck_U

I'm finding it hard to laugh at this...

Guest Starbuck
...the media has been reporting about the problem with the statute of limitations since day one. Her sudden realization was unconvincing.

I thought so too. Something other than eleventh hour legal insight prompted that "Come to Jesus" moment.

If I was guessing, I'd say it got unsustainable to stand in opposition to two dozen women who say they were drugged and raped. If friendship hadn't been involved, she would have been on their side long ago.

I thought so too. Something other than eleventh hour legal insight prompted that "Come to Jesus" moment.

If I was guessing, I'd say it got unsustainable to stand in opposition to two dozen women who say they were drugged and raped. If friendship hadn't been involved, she would have been on their side long ago.

Agree, she's backpedaling only because it is too hard to stand with him anymore, and retain any creditability as spokesperson for the female gender. Whoopsie. I mean Whoopi.

Exactly....

There's also something about being on TV in general and that show in particular that drains the sense out of people's heads.

Those who had any to start with.

Exactly...Honestly I think it was her way of standing out, causing controversy and trying to stay relevant. I get that, but when we are talking about a man that destroyed a lot of lives, perhaps she should have rethought her approach, edited her thoughts before they left her brain. She could have made the same point without disregarding what Cosby has actually done.

Honestly I think it was her way of standing out, causing controversy and trying to stay relevant. I get that, but when we are talking about a man that destroyed a lot of lives, perhaps she should have rethought her approach, edited her thoughts before they left her brain. She could have made the same point without disregarding what Cosby has actually done.

Instead of pretending she did not know about that the statute of limitations issue, I would have respected Whoopi more if she just said I let my freindship with Bill Cosby get in the way of the statements by dozens of women.

Archived