Whats the last movie you watched?

Guest ChrisW
This topic is 3552 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Starbuck

The Inn of the Sixth Happiness ... an Ingrid Bergman film from 1958 ... on Aer Lingus from Dublin to Boston this past Saturday. I'd seen it before several years ago and enjoyed it again, despite the crazy choices of 1950s film-making (casting Caucasians as Chinese, Bergman as a Cockney woman), the huge liberties taken with a true-life story and the drone of airplane engines.

The last movie I saw in a theatre was "The Imitation Game" last week, and it might be the last. I went on a rainy day at 4:30 in the afternoon and the theatre was packed with retirees. They talked, and got up and down throughout the entire film. The man next to me had a tray with nachos, popcorn, coffee and a soda on it. The stench from the nachos was overwhelming and I wanted desperately to move but the theatre was full. Just when I thought I'd leave, the man sitting on the other side of him told him he was suffocating from the smell of the food and the offender left for the lobby. But then, the man who had talked to him related the entire incident at full voice to his wife, the people sitting in front of him, and anybody else within earshot. An usher asked him to "pipe down". Things quieted down but by then, my concentration had been irrevocably broken and wasn't helped by the woman seated on my left who cracker her knuckles and her neck at regular intervals, slurped a soda and then smacked her lips, and then commented on whatever action was taking place on screen. I stayed to the end but I think it's going to be a long, long time before I return to a movie theatre. Every time I go, I'm surprised at peoples' lack of awareness that they're supposed to shut the fuck up.

Do you have a curved 4K HDTV to see it in a Cinerama-like environamnet?

no (!), but I did get to see it at the real Cinerama Arcdome screen in Hollywood a few years ago....wow!....and they gave out free DVDs of it with updated sound and video....but nothing like watching it on the big screen with booming sound and that legendary soundtrack, especially that ending sequence of flyovers....and here it is:

DVD -- Princess Mononoke, for an online film discussion group

In the theatre -- I'm not sure! I can't think of a movie I saw in the theatre this year off the top of my head even though I'm pretty sure I saw at least one. (I'll probably remember as soon as I post this.) The last one I remember seeing is 12 Years a Slave a little over a year ago, which I thought well-acted but less interesting as a movie than it could have been.

I wanted to see Gone Girl but was in the middle of getting ready to move. There's a good chance I'll see The Imitation Game soon, as it's at the local arthouse theatre already.

I tried watching "Annie Hall" and couldn't make it through the first half. I was so disappointed.

As far as movies I've actually completed—"Into The Storm" which was a less charming version of "Twister," with the annoying wife from "The Walking Dead."

"The Skeleton Twins" with Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig is next in the queue.

DVD -- Princess Mononoke, for an online film discussion group

And wasn't it remarkable? I recommend all his movies. Spirited Away is fantastic and is the usual favorite, but I love Princess Mononoke and My Neighbor Totoro the most. But they're all good. I just rewatched one his earlier movies, The Castle of Cagliostro , last Saturday morning, from under a blanket, eating a bowl of cereal; I felt like a 5 year old. It was awesome.

And wasn't it remarkable? I recommend all his movies. Spirited Away is fantastic and is the usual favorite, but I love Princess Mononoke and My Neighbor Totoro the most. But they're all good. I just rewatched one his earlier movies, The Castle of Cagliostro , last Saturday morning, from under a blanket, eating a bowl of cereal; I felt like a 5 year old. It was awesome.

Alas, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are the only Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movies I've seen. I need to watch more of them. I'd watched Princess Mononoke once before many years ago. I've seen Spirited Away several times. I love the lack of overt moralizing in Princess Mononoke -- the world is gray, not black and white -- and the ability to accomplish with animation what would take much time and a huge budget for effects (CGI, no doubt, which I think gets overused) in a live action movie. Also, hand-drawn animation rocks.

Theater - Top Five

Rental - Margaret

Favorites so far - Locke, Ida, Boyhood, The Imitation Game, The Theory Of Everything, Citizenfour

Looking forward to - Mr. Turner, Winter Sleep, Leviathan, A Most Violent Year and Two Days, One Night.

you will NOT be disappointed with Leviathan. I saw it in toronto at the film festival and really liked it.

... wait, have I actually now seen a movie that you haven't seen yet?!?!?

by the way, Cash, have you seen Mommy? not sure its available in the us.

my last movie was The Imitation Game, I saw it today. I give it a 7 of 10, but I'd heard such amazing things so maybe my expectations were too high.

I wanna see Big Eyes.

The last movie I saw in a theatre was "The Imitation Game" last week, and it might be the last. I went on a rainy day at 4:30 in the afternoon and the theatre was packed with retirees. They talked, and got up and down throughout the entire film. The man next to me had a tray with nachos, popcorn, coffee and a soda on it. The stench from the nachos was overwhelming and I wanted desperately to move but the theatre was full. Just when I thought I'd leave, the man sitting on the other side of him told him he was suffocating from the smell of the food and the offender left for the lobby. But then, the man who had talked to him related the entire incident at full voice to his wife, the people sitting in front of him, and anybody else within earshot. An usher asked him to "pipe down". Things quieted down but by then, my concentration had been irrevocably broken and wasn't helped by the woman seated on my left who cracker her knuckles and her neck at regular intervals, slurped a soda and then smacked her lips, and then commented on whatever action was taking place on screen. I stayed to the end but I think it's going to be a long, long time before I return to a movie theatre. Every time I go, I'm surprised at peoples' lack of awareness that they're supposed to shut the fuck up.

The details of my last trip to the movie theater were different, but the frustration was exactly the same. I am fed up with walking around a theater begging people to be quiet. Selfish little pricks should know that already. It won't be a long, long time before I return to a movie theater; it will be never because, unfortunately, manners in our all-about-me society don't appear to be on the upswing.

So now I almost never watch movies, nor do I miss them that much. I do rent the occasional DVD or subscribe to the occasional month of Netflix, more than enough to satisfy my movie-watching desires. The last movie I saw was Cell 211, which won the Goya (Spain's version of the Oscar). It's the story of an about-to-start (taking a tour the day before his first day on the job) prison guard caught in the prison when a riot breaks out, what he does to survive, and the bond he forms with one of the inmate leaders. It's tense, exciting, and beautiful in that Goya (the painter, not the film award) Black Paintings sort of way. I can see why it won the Spanish Oscar. If you come across it on Netflix, it's definitely worth watching.

A couple of side notes: it was the first time I had ever heard Basque spoken. A critical aspect of the negotiations between the warden and the inmates is the fate of the ETA terrorists, who were the key chess piece of a larger, politically sensitive negotiation and therefore a major bargaining chip for the inmates now in control. Basque is a language isolate, i.e, it has no relation or connection with any other language. And it certainly sounds like no other language I've ever heard. Also, the newbie prison guard is a Spanish character but is played by an Argentine actor. I was a bit surprised because his Castilian accent was perfect, but shouldn't have been because American TV shows and movies are chock full of British, Irish, and Australian actors who sound as American as apple pie.

Archived