New York for Silver Foxes

Will
This topic is 7429 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A long time ago I asked this question, and several helpful New Yorkers answered it. However, as a gentleman of a Certain Age I no longer remember things as well as I used to do.

If you don't mind reminding me, then, I'd appreciate being told where Old Fags (that is, gay men over 40) gather for a drink and a chat and, if they're lucky, a flirt.

The first thread I started on this subject was to wonder if anybody remembered the Menemsha Bar and, if they did, what became of it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of the old homos hang out on all the old Christopher Street bars - like Two Potato (for the friendly nice gray-haired grandfatherly ones) and Boots 'N Saddle (for the washed-up, dried-out, gray-haired ex-leather ones).

There are now also some nice assisted living apartment buildings catering to gay men, and they often have Bingo nights on Friday and shuffelboard tournaments on the week (when it's not too cold for them). Walkers are optionable. Have fun!

Guest fukamarine

>Many of the old homos hang out on all the old Christopher

>Street bars - like Two Potato (for the friendly nice

>gray-haired grandfatherly ones) and Boots 'N Saddle (for the

>washed-up, dried-out, gray-haired ex-leather ones).

>

>There are now also some nice assisted living apartment

>buildings catering to gay men, and they often have Bingo

>nights on Friday and shuffelboard tournaments on the week

>(when it's not too cold for them). Walkers are optionable.

>Have fun!

What a sarcastic CUNT you are. A member asks a perfectly legitimate question and you go off on a tangent about old washed-up, dried-out homos who need walkers. Oh that we may have the joy of being around to witness you when you reach that stage. And you will...... unless you do us all a favour and pop off early.

There are several posters on this site who I don't particularly care for and I harbour no allusions that I am popular in return. But you really take the cake. What a twisted lonely life you must lead. Looks good on ya!

fukamarine

You might want to try Julius' on the corner of 10th & Waverly in the West Village. This bar has been around for many years, and they have a steady neighborhood regular clientele mostly gay and mostly (but not totally) older. It has the feel of a neighborhood bar and the customers tend to know one another and feel comfortable with one another as well as with the employees. Monday through Friday well drinks and beers are only $2 until 9PM. They also are well known for their terrific hamburgers.

ag

Good luck to Doug69 when he reaches the age of 69...or maybe well before.

As an "old fag," a "washed-up homo" or a silver fox, I hit 63 years of age this past year and, as I noted in an earlier post, 50 in homo years. Guess what, I'm having a fantastic sex life and fantastic life in general.

New York is a great place for older gays. Other posters have mentioned several bars that are welcoming to older types. I would certainly recommend Julius's. On a recent trip to New York, I had a delightful conversation there with a man in his 80s who was retired from the theatre world but right up to date with current theatre. He gave me a lot of good insights into the present theatre world and some wonderful anecdotes about people he had known in the past, people I only know as cultural icons.

Julius's and the other Village landmarks are generally informal, but if you prefer more formal, dressier places, I highly recommend The Townhouse, on 58th between 2nd and 3rd. There is a piano bar with performers who range from mediocre to outstanding. There are many older gents who are interested in each other or in the younger guys who are looking for older men. Do be careful of the occasional money guys who have infiltrated the TH since the demise of Rounds. I stop in at TH whenever I am in NYC, once or twice a year, and I have NEVER failed to get into conversation with interesting people. And the conversation frequently leads to something more! Last time, I had been in the city (and the U.S.) for only a few hours and met a stud 25 years younger than I. We spent almost everynight of my 2 weeks in NYC together. Mostly in bed!

Pegasus is another East Side spot skewing toward older men -- and Asians. Regent also caters to older gay men and the back room often features terrific singers who drop in to offer a song or two.

"Grow old along with me. The best is yet to be." Working for me!

buzz

>Good luck to Doug69 when he reaches the age of 69...or maybe

>well before.

You misunderstood what I wrote. I was providing Will with the information he sought (the names of bars in NYC frequented by older gentlemen), and then also provided him with a few unconventional ideas for how he may meet men of his age group, so that he didn't get stuck in the walker-and-cane bar scene (I just recently happened to read about Bingo night at an assisted living home for old fags, and thought that might be a fun night for Will).

I have nothing but the greatest respect and admiration for grandaddies like you and Will and all of the gentlemen at the assisted living home, and I sincerely hope that nothing in any of my comments reflected otherwise.

B15 - N36 - I24 - WOOO HOOO!!!

Guest fukamarine

>I have nothing but the greatest respect and admiration for

>grandaddies like you and Will and all of the gentlemen at the

>assisted living home, and I sincerely hope that nothing in any

>of my comments reflected otherwise.

Good try but it ain't gonna work!

Do you really think we are so stupid as to believe that your use of terms like, "OLD HOMOS" "WASHED UP" "DRIED OUT" are signs of your "greatest respect and admiration" If they are then I'd hate to hear how you would describe them if you didn't respect them.

Nor were you comments about assisted living, bingo nights and walkers

meant in the context you are now describing.

What a creep you are.

fukamarine

Guest fukamarine

>I have nothing but the greatest respect and admiration for

>grandaddies like you and Will and all of the gentlemen at the

>assisted living home, and I sincerely hope that nothing in any

>of my comments reflected otherwise.

Good try but it ain't gonna work!

Do you really think we are so stupid as to believe that your use of terms like, "OLD HOMOS" "WASHED UP" "DRIED OUT" are signs of your "greatest respect and admiration" If they are then I'd hate to hear how you would describe them if you didn't respect them.

Nor were you comments about assisted living, bingo nights and walkers

meant in the context you are now describing.

What a creep you are.

fukamarine

Guest Jocoluver

While not in NY but LaLaLand, I will soon be 72yo and I am having the time of my life!! homo life, that is. I am finding out I am probably the worst "ageist" in our community :p :9 }( :)

Guest Jocoluver

While not in NY but LaLaLand, I will soon be 72yo and I am having the time of my life!! homo life, that is. I am finding out I am probably the worst "ageist" in our community :p :9 }( :)

>Oh that we may

>have the joy of being around to witness you when you reach

>that stage.

Who says he hasn't already reached that stage? I can't imagine anyone getting that bitter without having packed on quite a few years, unless, of course, he's one of those ugly fucks with a missing eye or something.

>Oh that we may

>have the joy of being around to witness you when you reach

>that stage.

Who says he hasn't already reached that stage? I can't imagine anyone getting that bitter without having packed on quite a few years, unless, of course, he's one of those ugly fucks with a missing eye or something.

To a lot of twinks in their early 20s, anyone over 30 is ancient. There has always been a feeling among many young gays -- and straights, too -- that an exciting, fulfilling life ends when you hit "The Four-Oh." To a 20-year-old someone twice his age is up there with Pop and Mom. To a 60-year-old like me, 40 is young, but mature and highly desirable. And many 40-year-olds would regard me as over the hill, but fortunately not all.

buzz

To a lot of twinks in their early 20s, anyone over 30 is ancient. There has always been a feeling among many young gays -- and straights, too -- that an exciting, fulfilling life ends when you hit "The Four-Oh." To a 20-year-old someone twice his age is up there with Pop and Mom. To a 60-year-old like me, 40 is young, but mature and highly desirable. And many 40-year-olds would regard me as over the hill, but fortunately not all.

buzz

Archived