The Oscars

mmk
This topic is 7357 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am watching it right now. I did not see Billy's opening number but I do think tha tthey could have given Blake Edwards a little more time to speak. It was a lifetime achievement award and he has brought us some of the greatest movies ever made. Oh well.

Actually, my favorite part of the Oscar's is the Dead People Tribute. You always see people that you thought either died years ago or you did not know they died. I have not seen it yet so I hope I have not missed it.

I'm still watching it.

During the tribute to Gregory Peck, they chose to show a clip from To Kill a Mockingbird. It's from the scene in the courtroom where Atticus Finch says "Now, gentlemen, in this country our courts are the great levelers. In our courts, all men are created equal. I'm no idealist to believe firmly in the integrity of our courts and of our jury system. That's no ideal to me. That is a living, working reality!"

Watching the clip, I found myself thinking of the gay marriage dispute and wondered if perhaps this scene was specially chosen to speak to those who today decry court judgments and "activist judges."

BG

>Watching the clip, I found myself thinking of the gay marriage

>dispute and wondered if perhaps this scene was specially

>chosen to speak to those who today decry court judgments and

>"activist judges."

I think it was chosen to speak to those who today decry the court's judgment in Bush v. Gore (2000).

Sometimes, like this year, the Academy actually get it RIGHT!

Lord of the Rings has deserved the best picture award for the last 3 years running. I guess the Academy was waiting for the final installment to basically award the Oscar to the whole franchise.

Having read the trilogy/quadrilogy (including the Hobbit) multiple times, I think the director (well earned Oscar, Jackson!), producer and cast did an EXCELLENT job of bringing this difficult work of literature to life on the silver screen. Everyone who is a fan of Tolkien's intricate, complicated tale of Middle Earth has the utmost respect to Hollywood for it's portrayal of the ultimate epic of the fantasy/scifi genre.

How could anyone dispute the awards to Sean Penn, Charlize Theron, Tim Robbins and Renee Zellwiger? All of them have turned in Oscar worthy performances, year after year, in a wide range of genres! I am super glad to see all of them WIN!, as they are among American filmdom's elite, true artists! :-)

I thought Return of the King got what it deserved as well though it's too bad it's 11 oscars will look so much better to the amount the other two movies got which were neither that much worst then the third.

I also feel sorry for New Zealand which probably really had to strain it's tax base to clean up after Mr Jackson and his movie making. :-P

>I also feel sorry for New Zealand which probably really had to

>strain it's tax base to clean up after Mr Jackson and his

>movie making. :-P

No, no, no sweet boy. Hollywood generates income to the local community, including cleanup services! No strain to the local tax base there! :)

In fact, if you watch the special features (on the second DVD I think) you'll see that most everywhere they went was restored back to exactly has it was before they got their. Pity, if they'd been built to last some could've become great tourist attractions...

Guest Tristan

>I am watching it right now. I did not see Billy's opening

>number but I do think tha tthey could have given Blake Edwards

>a little more time to speak.

Billy's opening number was a montage in which he inserted himself as a character in many of the films being nominated. I thought it was very clever and entertaining. When Billy Crystal hosts I watch the entire Oscars and put up with the thank you speeches. It's never as good when somebody else hosts.

>Actually, my favorite part of the Oscar's is the Dead People

>Tribute. You always see people that you thought either died

>years ago or you did not know they died. I have not seen it

>yet so I hope I have not missed it.

I agree. The only surprise here was Hope Lange. She was relatively young. I don't recall how she died. There was one thing I didn't like, and I can't find any mention of it in any of the reviews. Katherine Hepburn was given a fitting separate tribute with clips from her films. It appeared that they were going to do the same for Gregory Peck, but after showing clips from "To Kill a Mockingbird", the tribute suddenly went into the In Memoriam sequence for all the other stars. Two things bothered me here. First, I think Gregory Peck deserved a separate tribute with clips from his films. Second, I don't recall any introduction to all the stars that passed away in the last year, which is very strange.

Guest Coney Island

Sean Penn is such a hot actor. he really deserved this award. In Mystic River, his arms and shoulders were huge, just as they would be if he, as his character had, just gotten out of prison.

I missed the show but I just looked at photos of Best & Worst Dressed Stars at the Oscar's. When did the term "star" become female only? There was not one male star photo, because men all wear the same thing: a suit or tux that hides their true shape. When will society have progressed enough that men can look sexy at formal affairs? It's very important for woman to always show off their breasts, backs, asses, shoulders, legs and arms (except Diane Keaton). I say it's time for a revolt. I want to see a male movie star show up next year showing off his body or I am boycotting. :p

I agree with almost every award given. As a member of Screen Actors Guild, I had seen every performance in order to vote for the SAG awards the week earlier.

Granted I may be using different criteria in deciding my vote for the male acting award. I also want to say that Sean Penn gave a powerful performance, but it felt like a performance and that is something I shy away from when voting. I would be more interested in rewarding a performance that allowed me to get past the real actor playing the part. Tim Robbins in the same film is a good example of that. Clearly he was not playing himself. I have worked with Sean many years ago (in his Madonna days) in a film called True Colors. Sean is talented, but mostly that is him on screen . I felt Johnny Depp's portrayal as Capt. Jack Sparrow was a much more nuanced and layered performance (albeit in a piece of fluff film which I thoroughly enjoyed).

I agreed with all of the other acting awards and my Oscar ballot pretty much lined up with the rest of the winners. Enjoyed what i saw of the show. I was also getting a taoist cock massage during 1 hour of the show, so TV was turned off. (it was a fantastic experience as massages go).:p

I loved the tribute Katherine Hepburn.

I was fortunate enough to see her live in a play in Houston's Jones Hall. The play was horrible, but she was great and she stopped the show in the middle to scold someone in the audience for talking...or maybe it was me, for snoring.

A classy person, broad if you will, she was.

>Billy's opening number was a montage in which he inserted

>himself as a character in many of the films being nominated.

>I thought it was very clever and entertaining. When Billy

>Crystal hosts I watch the entire Oscars and put up with the

>thank you speeches. It's never as good when somebody else

>hosts.

Billy Crystal is the only reason I watched. He is a great host and seems to put in just the right one-liners at the right moment. (Loved the Robin Williams joke that he and Billy looked like the top of a San Francisco Wedding Cake).

No one mentioned the tribute to Bob Hope as a former host for the Oscars. I enjoyed seeing that also. It is always sad to see the Great Ones that have gone but the Oscars are correct to honor such great "stars".

Guest Tristan

I think the time will eventually come when male stars dump the tux and start wearing sexier revealing clothes. Of course, we'll all probably be gone by then.

In any case, there were some stars who looked down right good, tux or no tux. Johnny Depp looked pretty sexy with locks of hair flowing over his forehead. Elijah Wood looked a hell of a lot better in his tux than he did as a Hobbit. His large blue eyes are also enough to make you melt. :)

I knew about Hope Lange but I thought that Hume Cronyn died years ago.

However, didn't Bob Hope die last year? If he did, why was he not mentioned? He did have a film career before moving to tv in the 50's and if he is dead then why was he not mentioned?

>why, why, why does she keep trying to bring back that god

>awful annie hall look????

Why does every woman have to wear sexy, body-revealing outfits and look like everyone else? I wish there were more women (and men) like Diane Keaton who have their own personal style.

Hope remembered

Bob Hope was given his own tribute during the show, highlighting his many years of service as an emcee of the Oscar telecast. The well known quip " tonight is the Oscar Awards or as it is known at my house, Passover" was featured among many others. His tribute included no other stars who passed away last year.

RE: Hope remembered

I also loved the Bob Hope tribute.

And I have a great Bob Hope story. Since I'm taking the night off I may share it with you in another thread. It's just I have to edit and re-edit and it took me an hour just to write this. Hopefully, I won't find fault and have to edit it.

I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink

I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink

I wonder should I get up and fix myself a drink

No,no,no.

I'm so tired I don't know what to do

I'm so tired my mind is set on you

I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do

You'd say I'm putting you on

But it's no joke, it's doing me harm

You know I can't sleep, I can't stop my brain

You know it's three weeks, I'm going insane

You know I'd give you everything I've got

for a little peace of mind including my new cell phone.

I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset

Although I'm so tired I'll have another jack off set

Lennon/McCartney with some editing by the Censor King.

There was one piece of male fashion news, or at least it was news to me. There were only about three or four bowties worn with tuxes all evening. The ties were all your more common four-in-hand type ties, ableit solid colors. Almost all of them were black, but I really liked the silver gray and white ones much better.

And, looking back on it, I am a bit surprised that I don'r reemember any sequined or patterned vests. But then, I still collect refrigerator magnets.

Archived