Muscle Milk

Reluctant Daddy
This topic is 3125 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About a year ago, I got pressured into hiring a fitness trainer--some gung-ho 24 year old. I think the kid was trying to kill me. All I was looking for was a little exercise, not endurance training. This kid put me on some weird supplements (can we say commission?) plus protein powder before and after each workout. When my doctor found out, he freaked. Said he did not want me on supplements, that I didn't need protein powder, and that it was bad for my cholesterol, my diabetes and my kidneys.

I use Custom Collagen protein powder, 2 advantages that made me stick with it 1. Lowest calorie count for the amount of protein. 2. Absolutely no flavor to it.

I make a iced protein latte with some sugar/espresso/protein powder / milk and it is delicious!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/818JuP56XtL._SY679_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81tgfqTZRWL._SX522_.jpg

My two cents: After 5+ years of buying protein powders and carb powders I switched back to real foods (my friend called me a hippie for wanting to eat food). My diet is written down, followed very closely, and balanced. I ditched the powder and made sure to add about 40 extra grams of protein total in my 4 meals throughout the day. I don't miss the powder either. My dishwasher and shaker cups thank me.

Drinking a shake post-workout was always my biggest concern (what about the gainz?!), but I started looking at the bigger picture. That one single shake will not make or break my muscle gains. What WILL make a difference are my overall eating habits throughout the day, and throughout the week.

I always recommend to friends and family that before they start buying a supplement they should make sure they have their full diet plan laid out. If there is a gap or a dietary requirement, then maybe we can introduce something, but for most people a powder isn't really needed. Ask someone who takes vitamin C pills, "how much vitamin C is in your current diet?" They won't know, yet they will take a pill for it. I see the same with protein. People just hear it's good so extra protein must be better, without knowing how much they already get or even how much they need.

I think we see these bodybuilders that need to eat 400 or 500 grams of protein a day and think that we are like them because we workout as well. For them, drinking 400 grams or protein is easier and less time consuming to prepare at eat 400 grams of food protein, but most people (gym rats too) eat about 150 to 200 grams. That's super easy to get in real foods

So don't eat protein or buy a powder for the sake of it. Find a nutritionist (or a gym going buddy) who knows your goals and work from there to plan your diet. Save your money until your diet and nutrition needs are on paper. :)

My two cents: After 5+ years of buying protein powders and carb powders I switched back to real foods (my friend called me a hippie for wanting to eat food). My diet is written down, followed very closely, and balanced. I ditched the powder and made sure to add about 40 extra grams of protein total in my 4 meals throughout the day. I don't miss the powder either. My dishwasher and shaker cups thank me.

Drinking a shake post-workout was always my biggest concern (what about the gainz?!), but I started looking at the bigger picture. That one single shake will not make or break my muscle gains. What WILL make a difference are my overall eating habits throughout the day, and throughout the week.

I always recommend to friends and family that before they start buying a supplement they should make sure they have their full diet plan laid out. If there is a gap or a dietary requirement, then maybe we can introduce something, but for most people a powder isn't really needed. Ask someone who takes vitamin C pills, "how much vitamin C is in your current diet?" They won't know, yet they will take a pill for it. I see the same with protein. People just hear it's good so extra protein must be better, without knowing how much they already get or even how much they need.

I think we see these bodybuilders that need to eat 400 or 500 grams of protein a day and think that we are like them because we workout as well. For them, drinking 400 grams or protein is easier and less time consuming to prepare at eat 400 grams of food protein, but most people (gym rats too) eat about 150 to 200 grams. That's super easy to get in real foods

So don't eat protein or buy a powder for the sake of it. Find a nutritionist (or a gym going buddy) who knows your goals and work from there to plan your diet. Save your money until your diet and nutrition needs are on paper. :)

JetBlack... You are right on target! A while back I asked a guy if he took any protein supplements as I had known that he had in the past. When I told him that I was essentially simply eating properly he opened his fridge and showed me where he was getting his protein and it was from FOOD! Way in a corner was a can of protein powder that was about to expire that he had stopped using.

Work currently impedes my ability to eat properly. I'm doing 60-70 hour weeks, so breakfast is nonexistent (currently Muscle Milk), lunch is generally a salad with some type of protein, or Muscle Milk if I can steal away for some cardio, and dinner is usually crap (take out Mexican, Chinese........) at 9:30 or so. I was looking at something to boost lean protein intake, so Muscle Milk was suggested, but I'm checking out Ispoure as an alternate. I can balance a proper diet on weekends. It's the other 5 days that trip me up.

Work currently impedes my ability to eat properly. I'm doing 60-70 hour weeks, so breakfast is nonexistent (currently Muscle Milk), lunch is generally a salad with some type of protein, or Muscle Milk if I can steal away for some cardio, and dinner is usually crap (take out Mexican, Chinese........) at 9:30 or so. I was looking at something to boost lean protein intake, so Muscle Milk was suggested, but I'm checking out Ispoure as an alternate. I can balance a proper diet on weekends. It's the other 5 days that trip me up.

Here is what I do. Every Sunday night I take out enough meat and vegetables and carbs to prepare five lunches and five dinners. I put them in Tupperware in that way in the morning I grab one lunch and one dinner and run out the door to work. For breakfast I heat up my eggs in A bowl in the microwave and have something like a banana or an apple to go with it.

This way my breakfast takes under five minutes to cook and eat. My lunches and dinners are all prepared so there is no thinking about even eating out or not having enough time to cook a dinner. It's the routine that you only need to do once per week

Cooking all of that food only takes about one hour of my time on the weekend. Most people I know have one hour somewhere that they can do this

I forgot to mention, if you are a person who gets bored easy eating the same thing day in and day out, if you cook Five or so chicken breasts at a time you can add barbecue sauce to one, marinate another, add some seasonings to a different one, and basically have different taste for every meal that you make even though you're using the same type of meat

Archived