Prep or Pep?

Reluctant Daddy
This topic is 3096 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guys, I've been an HIV test counselor for several decades and have seen HIV medications come and go (when I started doing this AZT was the drug of choice....and what a mistake that was.) It's only years later, after years of use, that the real toxicity of the drugs comes to light. All of the drugs in current use, have potential damage to one's major organs......what may be a desirable decision today, may be regrettable 10 years down the line. Safer sex is still the best decision in my view and has always worked for me. That's my two cents.

This is absolutely true, as my doctor who prescribed longterm medication for my high cholesterol, BP, and kidney malfunction keeps telling me when I complain about my frequent urination, problems getting or maintaining erection, and joint cramping. So, I don't need anymore toxic shit in my body. I engage in VERY low risk sexual activity, refrain from anal in any way shape and form, and therefore eliminate that stress from my life. You have to decide what your own priorities are.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, but the manufacturer (Gilead) has an assistance program to defray the cost.

unfortunately that just makes the cost higher for the rest of the population. the "savings" are passed on to the rest of the population, charging insurance companies higher costs for the meds as a U&C.

I am not saying the assistance program is wrong, but it can be abused. When I worked in the pharmacy insurance industry, I would see employees of fortune 500 and 50 companies call up, make 6-7 figures, and be on copay assistance.. and then I see a retiree who has to struggle to make ends meet, make a decision to pay rent, heat or power.. or eat.... and they get no assistance from the drug manufacturers.

Archived