What's cookin'?

amused1
This topic is 3126 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'll be cooking some thawed pork chops tonight, too. Applesauce will be dessert, though.

Tonight I'll also be searing be the leg of some animal, to put in the slow cooker early tomorrow.

Tomorrow I must use up a couple of butternut squashes I found cheap, to make soup for my lunches. (Any suggestions besides the usual flavor additions: red pepper, curry, or cumin?)

Tomorrow also might be the day I finally give homemade flour tortillas a try.

(Cooking for me is a multi-day endeavor...)

"Some kind of animal" reminded me of a book I read long ago, The Roadkill Cookbook. It was really amusing and had some interesting recipes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be cooking some thawed pork chops tonight, too. Applesauce will be dessert, though.

Tonight I'll also be searing be the leg of some animal, to put in the slow cooker early tomorrow.

Tomorrow I must use up a couple of butternut squashes I found cheap, to make soup for my lunches. (Any suggestions besides the usual flavor additions: red pepper, curry, or cumin?)

butternut squash works great with apples, onions and apples. you can use chicken stock or veg stock and make a tasty soup I use fruit in savory dishes a great deal. Fruit doesn't have to appear just at dessert

Maybe cinnamon for the squash? I was instructed to get low sugar applesauce since the Hungarian is diabetic. I don't do fake sugar and rarely do low sugar. This is going to be a battle.

Hugs,

Greg

I live in an area that Johnny Appleseed originated from. There are many apple orchards around me and I have a small one myself. Each fall I pick/pickup 5-6 different types of apples. One weekend day I devote to making applesauce from all of it. This year I "put up" 80 pint jars of applesauce. I never add sugar. I cook the apples long and slow and the natural sugars come out. I eat it all year and use it in savory cooking, baking and just plan applesauce

I live in an area that Johnny Appleseed originated from. There are many apple orchards around me and I have a small one myself. Each fall I pick/pickup 5-6 different types of apples. One weekend day I devote to making applesauce from all of it. This year I "put up" 80 pint jars of applesauce. I never add sugar. I cook the apples long and slow and the natural sugars come out. I eat it all year and use it in savory cooking, baking and just plan applesauce

I have a number of apple trees as well and can both sauce and butter. (Pressure can the butter due to density issues.). I love apple in savory dishes. Apples in sausage and sweet potatoes is a fav.

Dang, I didn't make dessert. If I had some of Friend's butternut squash I'd make squash Indian pudding with warm apple sauce.

Craigsville, fellow Yankee here. Now a simple Corn Yankee. But I remember my roots. :)

I actually purchased a can of indian pudding today at my local market basket grocery. LOL. :) Lov it with Brigham Vanilla Ice Cream

This evening I had left over whole wheat penne pasta in a sauce made from ground turkey and tomatoes, red and white wine, and garlic. Just got back from the grocery store (damn it's cold out), and tomorrow will be chicken thighs, risotto, and green beans. Don't have a clue what I'll eat on Monday. That's too far away.

I'm actually a little jealous of your orchard. When I have apples to work with I usually go beyond applesauce and make apple butter. It's basically the same but you cook out half of the liquid and the sugars in the fruit caramelize.

No matter what, the great thing about canning is that you can capture the fresh flavors of summer and enjoy them in the dead of winter.

Props to you!

I cooked a full Crock Pot of white chili, though I have to call it "southwest-themed chicken and bean stew" for Gman and any other Texans who take exception to misuse of the word "chili." I strayed from the recipe and included a pound of sweet sausage along with the chicken breast. The recipe calls only for chopped onion, but I added green and red pepper as well. I also put in a half pound of kidney beans with the northern beans. The changes were definitely an improvement. Next time I won't add the extra beans, and I'll add a habanero or jalapeño.

I'm actually a little jealous of your orchard. When I have apples to work with I usually go beyond applesauce and make apple butter. It's basically the same but you cook out half of the liquid and the sugars in the fruit caramelize.

No matter what, the great thing about canning is that you can capture the fresh flavors of summer and enjoy them in the dead of winter.

Props to you!

When making apple butter, have you ever used the shallow pan/oven method? Far less maintenance than the stove top method. You still have to keep an eye on it, but not as often.

Between canning, freezing, sand boxing and dehydrating I rarely run out of veg in the winter. Frugal Yankee genes. :)

I come from a family of people who know/knew their way around the kitchen. I made pear butter this morning, but I had no idea the water content in bosc pears was higher than that of apples. It took a while for it to cook down.

Making Sicilian pizza tonight.

Oh, and I'm jealous of those with access to apple orchards. I'm just thankful DC has plentiful farmers markets.

I come from a family of people who know/knew their way around the kitchen. I made pear butter this morning, but I had no idea the water content in bosc pears was higher than that of apples. It took a while for it to cook down.

Making Sicilian pizza tonight.

Oh, and I'm jealous of those with access to apple orchards. I'm just thankful DC has plentiful farmers markets.

Don't be jealous More a stand of trees than an orchard. 14 trees, 8 varieties. Most between 20 and 30 years old. Pruning limbs and culling fruit set isn't the fun it may sound like, lots of ladder work. Also 2 pear trees and a small arbor of fox grapes for juice. There's a u pick cherry orchard near by where I pick my tart cherries for canning and drying. My neighbors love the extras I share so don't complain about the temporary arbors I build for vine crops.

I made chicken marsala according to the simpler of the two recipes and paired it with rotini pasta and a salad. It was good but probably the more complicated recipe would have been better. At any rate, I now have marsala wine on hand as well as boneless chicken breasts, so I can repeat this exercise in a week or so.

I also finished the last third of a pint of Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Crunch and had some Pepperidge Farm orange Milano cookies. At some point I need to make apple pan dowdy.

Dunno if it is too late to give you a spice suggestion, but you might want to try cardamom, rosemary, and garlic. I have been using those three to roast sweet potatoes and they come up great!

I know, I don't use canned foods often, but making a batch from scratch takes some time and gives me a great deal. I supposed I could freeze the extra, but I wanted it NOW!:mad:

Instant gratification, I understand how that can happen with dessert. I've never tried to freeze it but suspect it wouldn't be successful. My instinct is that the custard version would "weep" and become rubbery. The vegetarian version might fare better but isn't nearly as satisfying. I've had success halving the recipe so I'm not buried in pudding.

Archived