Vet comforts scared abandoned dog

geminibear
This topic is 3148 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Watched for 10 seconds and the plaintive moaning of the other dogs was too much to bear. Adopt a shelter animal. Help quiet those desperate cries.

+1000

In CA, county shelters generally make sure dogs are spayed or neutered before making them available for adoption. Mine was one of those.

I sort of hit the shelter dog lotto: he came to me house trained, leash trained, has a strong desire to please, and he DOES NOT BARK. (Well, he'll give a single woof when UPS comes through the gate to deliver a package or there are workmen on the roof but that's about it.)

But when you go to the shelter spend enough time with enough animals to make sure you get the right one. After meeting a dozen or so perfectly lovely (if uninterested) dogs, mine sniffed my hand and immediately laid down on my feet with his legs in the air for a tummy rub. Sold.

The right one will pick you.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe you do a lot of travel by driving and there are now a lot more dog friendly hotels along the roads.

Although I do not see you as a small dog kind of guy, a dog small enough to fit into a carrier which may be placed under an airline seat might allow you to travel by air and have a dog.

I have to say HA! A small carrier under the seat - NO NO NO my friend. I was in First Class LA to NY, 2 seats to the row and just in front (bulkhead) was a lady and her Great Dane (not our Great Dane of whom I lavish my praise) - a big, black monster who tried to play with anybody he could. He was walked up and down the aisle twice during the flight introducing himself and wagging his tail. Fun flight!

thanks for the suggestion on the "service dog" idea, @seaboy4hire, but I think that is one of the biggest rackets existing today.....I love dogs and don't mind them anywhere, but the sense of self-entitlement some have who want to bring their little baby pooch with them anywhere, when they are entirely capable, is utter selfishness....you can buy a "service dog" vest on ebay for $30 or something

Try eating in a restaurant, and having a lady go ape shit ballistic because the staff wouldn't let her bring in her Service Cat.

thanks for the suggestion on the "service dog" idea, @seaboy4hire, but I think that is one of the biggest rackets existing today.....I love dogs and don't mind them anywhere, but the sense of self-entitlement some have who want to bring their little baby pooch with them anywhere, when they are entirely capable, is utter selfishness....you can buy a "service dog" vest on ebay for $30 or something

there is legitimate need for services dogs, and I think one place has service miniature horses.. to detect things like strokes and stuff.. but service animals are trained.. people who want to feed poopikins from the china plate on the table and claiming "service animal" or "emotional support animal" are just abusing the system.

As far as I am aware the united states recognizes only services dogs, and certainly not animals needed for "

emotional support" though papers or certification are not given, so anyone waving a "service animal certificate or license" is most probably trying to pass off a fake.

Heart-warming moment vet comforts a scared, abandoned dog by sitting in its cage and eating breakfast alongside it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3450589/The-adorable-moment-veterinarian-comforts-scared-abandoned-dog-sitting-cage-eating-breakfast-alongside-it.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/17/07/314E6F5F00000578-3450589-Breakfast_The_video_opens_with_Dr_Andy_Mathis_sitting_down_to_br-a-34_1455692797077.jpg http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/17/07/314E6F7800000578-3450589-image-a-39_1455692818164.jpg

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one on here posting subjects about threads like this one.

Thank you for uploading this, very nice of you to share this.

there is legitimate need for services dogs, and I think one place has service miniature horses.. to detect things like strokes and stuff.. but service animals are trained.. people who want to feed poopikins from the china plate on the table and claiming "service animal" or "emotional support animal" are just abusing the system.

As far as I am aware the united states recognizes only services dogs, and certainly not animals needed for "

emotional support" though papers or certification are not given, so anyone waving a "service animal certificate or license" is most probably trying to pass off a fake.

Actually, some service animals (probably limited to dogs and ponies) serve emotional/mental health needs, such as anxiety, which are just as legitimate as physical needs. But yes, they are trained. (So is the owner.) They're not just pets.

I kid you not. she had her cat in one of those service animal vests. I don't know many cats that would save a life.. more then likely they would just stare at you as you are having a stroke and then eat you when it gets hungry. :p

While I doubt there are any legitimate service cats (mainly because they're difficult to train), cats can and have acted as watch cats by, among other things, attacking a dog that attacked a child and alerting people to smoke and fire. Some cats serve as therapy animals in nursing homes, hospitals, and other institutional settings. There's even a cat in a nursing home who is an infallible guide as to who is in extremis and should have relatives called for a last visit.

an extra seat.

Actually, some service animals (probably limited to dogs and ponies) serve emotional/mental health needs, such as anxiety, which are just as legitimate as physical needs. But yes, they are trained. (So is the owner.) They're not just pets.

Airlines recognize animals (mainly dogs) as necessary to/for some passengers with anxiety and other psychological issues, especially regarding flying itself. I have written many a letter to airlines citing the necessary Air Carrier Access Act code numbers in order to allow those pets in the airline cabin - it is not just about purchasing an extra seat.

Real emotional support animals yes, with valid medical issuance and such. but you cant just say your dog, cat, hamster, kangaroo is an emotional support animal.

A good news story on the local ABC news tonight. A truffle farmer in the Canberra region has adopted six labs from the local RSPCA shelter and is training them to search for truffles. Truffles, which grow on the roots of specially innoculated trees, can sell for up to $3000/kg. Traditionally in Europe they use pigs to search for the truffles, the problem being that the pigs like to eat them but dogs don't. The farmer, who had previously worked as a police dog trainer, had already trained one dog and had been offered €120,000 for it. It's not for sale, but at prices like that training truffle dogs could become a lucrative sideline to his farm.

Archived