Be Cautious with Phone Chat Lines

Ryan
This topic is 6992 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Last month, an acquaintance of mine was found murdered in his car. They have recently found the suspected murderer and how he was connected to the victim. They met over a telephone chat line. This was discovered through a review of the records and conversations they later had privately over cell phones.

This is a cautionary tale on a number of levels. There is no security or privacy, it seems, in the cyber world and I know that I tend to forget it.

And the chat lines that allow you to leave a message and then scroll through others with the options to talk live are also very traceable.

And then there is the concern about whom you are meeting. You just don't know. There is definitely something to be said about face-to-face connections. Although that offers no security or safety, either. Just wanted to let you all know.

Here's a link to the story:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/4234555/detail.html

Thanks, BG.

The murder was horrible. Kevin was found in his car,bound at the ankles and feet, stabbed in the head with an ice-pick, covered in a garbage bag and sheet and then a fire was set in his car. He was missing for three days before they discovered him in the car. What happened in that three days is unknown.

Kevin was a bright, goodlooking, successful business man. And he was a good guy. Its very sad.

>Kevin was found in his car,bound at

>the ankles and feet, stabbed in the head with an ice-pick,

>covered in a garbage bag and sheet and then a fire was set in

>his car.

That's horrible; I'm sorry to hear about this. When gay-bashers kill us, it's always gruesome and disgusting and vicious...never a simple gunshot or stabbing. Thanks for posting this...

>Kevin was found in his car,bound at

>the ankles and feet, stabbed in the head with an ice-pick,

>covered in a garbage bag and sheet and then a fire was set in

>his car.

That's horrible; I'm sorry to hear about this. When gay-bashers kill us, it's always gruesome and disgusting and vicious...never a simple gunshot or stabbing. Thanks for posting this...

Guest Mikel

Really pathetically tragic. And thanks, in your anguish, for taking some time to share a sober warning for all of us. You might have helped someone.

Guest Mikel

Really pathetically tragic. And thanks, in your anguish, for taking some time to share a sober warning for all of us. You might have helped someone.

>That's horrible; I'm sorry to hear about this. When

>gay-bashers kill us, it's always gruesome and disgusting and

>vicious...never a simple gunshot or stabbing. Thanks for

>posting this...

This is a horrible and tragic murder, to be sure, and my condolensces are offered to the friend of the victim who posted here - but neither the original poster nor the newspaper article that he referened indicated in any way that this was a "gay-bashing" incident. You were just trying to exploit this death to make one of the 3 or 4 political points you have (gay people are victims who die because of gay-bashing), and I think it's disgraceful to exploit this human being's tragedy for your own agenda.

>That's horrible; I'm sorry to hear about this. When

>gay-bashers kill us, it's always gruesome and disgusting and

>vicious...never a simple gunshot or stabbing. Thanks for

>posting this...

This is a horrible and tragic murder, to be sure, and my condolensces are offered to the friend of the victim who posted here - but neither the original poster nor the newspaper article that he referened indicated in any way that this was a "gay-bashing" incident. You were just trying to exploit this death to make one of the 3 or 4 political points you have (gay people are victims who die because of gay-bashing), and I think it's disgraceful to exploit this human being's tragedy for your own agenda.

>I think it's disgraceful to exploit this

>human being's tragedy for your own agenda.

LOL Exploiting his tragedy for my own agenda? Yes, perhaps it's true that Ryan's friend was not gay, but when you hear about two men meeting over a chat line, that's usually the case. Plus, Ryan posted about it here on a gay message baord. But right or wrong, I hardly see what I gain from my assumption. What do I gain by posting that gay bashers are often vicious in their killings? How does that help me in any way? Am I going to attract more clients?

Speaking of agendas, your agenda on this message board seems to be to let people know when you think they are wrong. I would like to think that you posted to express your condolences to Ryan, but it looks to me like you posted so you could take an opportunity to take a swipe at me. If you want to talk about "disgraceful" behavior, look at your own.

Ryan, you have my deepest sympathy. Reading your account was downright depressing, but thanks for posting this as a warning and an alert.

I didn't jump to any conclusions about the sexual orientation of Kevin or his murderer, you didn't mention it and neither did the newspaper account. If and when more facts emerge about the motivation behind this incident, I'll weigh in then. In the meantime, the crime itself is horrible enough.

hd NYC

I made this post to the Message Center to remind all of us about a potential danger in our lives. I have chatted on chat lines, I have even hooked up with other guys on them. I meet fellows in person that I have met on the Internet. Electronic communication is in so very many parts of our lives, and I have become complacent and blindly trusting of the medium. The loss of my friend, Kevin, was a huge slap in the face for me on many levels which I enumerated in the initial post. I believed the Message Center was an appropriate place to pass along the reminder, to you whom I have come to know as virtual friends, some very real friends.

I thank those of you who have offered me your thoughts and support. It was unexpected and a warm experience to read. Again, thank you.

I don't want to enflame the conversation regarding "agendas." There are no agendas short of the warning. Yes, Kevin was gay. I do not know if the person who murdered him was gay, if the attack was motivated by gay-hatred, or if the chat line on which they connected was a "gay line." There are rumors all over the place, and other friends have theorized and postulated explanations. But nothing is certain at this point, short of having caught the perpetrator and connected him through DNA samples found in Kevin's car.

So, again, thank you for your thoughts. And be cautious and sensible when using the web, the phone chat lines, and any other manner in connecting, whether its in a bar, on the street or whatever. Life is fragile. Be kind to one another and to yourselves.

Guest zipperzone

>>I think it's disgraceful to exploit this

>>human being's tragedy for your own agenda.

>

>LOL Exploiting his tragedy for my own agenda? Yes, perhaps

>it's true that Ryan's friend was not gay, but when you hear

>about two men meeting over a chat line, that's usually the

>case. Plus, Ryan posted about it here on a gay message baord.

You're quite right - it is a perfectly normal assumption that a man who meets another man through a chat line would be gay. And if there is any doubt, Ryan confirms this in a subsequent posting.

But don't get your knickers in a twist over Dougger. He's a total waste of skin!

>If you want to talk about "disgraceful" behavior, look at your >own.

He probably is reluctant to do that in case he might hurl.

Archived