Cafe Tina

Will
This topic is 6882 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Months have passed since I last posted here, but a recent crisis in the life of a younger friend makes me think that this might be just the place to find the advice I need. In advance, I'll say how grateful I would be for any insights, wisdom, or experience anyone might be able to share.

The man of whom I'm speaking is now about 40, and has been living with HIV since he was infected at age 18 by an "older" man. Even so, he earned a Ph.D. from one of the country's major research universities, is happily partnered, and has an important position at a cultural institution of great international distinction. In other words, despite the HIV handicap, he has landed on his feet.

Well, maybe. Recently I have learned that he is a crystal meth addict, now on medical leave from his job so that he can get himself clean. However, he's having relapse after relapse, and I'm not sure whether his partner is in on the deal or not. In a High Drama Queen move worthy of Tallulah Bankhead, last week he took 52 Extra-Strength Tylenol, turned on the gas stove, and when his partner got home he was sitting in the room holding a lighted blowtorch. The net result? Liver damage and three days in a not-so-good hospital.

I've read the recent article about crystal meth in the gay community published in the May 23rd NEW YORKER, and am appropriately alarmed. Thus, my question is a simple one:

Does any of you know of West Coast treatment centers -- in-patient or out-patient -- that have some degree of success? If not actual treatment centers, what about recovery groups? I know there's nothing I can do, but these men keep calling me, although I'm hundreds of miles away, as though I'm supposed to be able to "save" them. I can't. But I certainly would like to have some factual information to pass on.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Will

Hello, Will.

I wish I had the information you seek. Unfortunately, I do not. I would like to say that I'm sorry this is happening to someone you care about. I'd also like to add that it's awfully nice to "see" you, even if it's just for a moment here.

BG

If they live in Southern California, they can go to drug-rehabs.org and choose from various programs within the LA area but I recommend the Harmony Place in Malibu, CA. Their internet site is harmonyplace.net and the telephone number is 1-888-866-9778. It's an in-patient facility. A dear and close friend of mine was admitted there a few years ago. He was also addicted to "crystal meth". He has been drug free ever since.

If they live in Northern California, they can contact Support System Homes, Inc at 1-800- 811-1800.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much. He does live in Southern California. And, in fact, I just saw a new A&E program called "Intervention" that mentions a place in Concord, CA, called Recovery Management Services. It's a big help, though, to know about the place in Malibu. Thanks again.

I just stumbled over this and thought I'd share what I learned through a friend who is in medical school.

There is research being done on the anti-anxiety /anti-depressant drug, Wellbutrin. It seems to help curve cravings far better than anything else out there. The only problem is having to be monitered for a possible side affect that causes the patient to commit suicide. It has been recorded in a small amount of cases (very small percentage, in fact). It involves seeing a doctor periodically for a while until they know the drug is good for you.

>In a High Drama Queen move worthy of Tallulah

>Bankhead, last week he took 52 Extra-Strength Tylenol, turned

>on the gas stove, and when his partner got home he was sitting

>in the room holding a lighted blowtorch. The net result?

>Liver damage and three days in a not-so-good hospital.

>

If there are any "drama queens" out there who think OD'ing on Tylenol is clever because it's "just Tylenol" and can't kill you, think again. Tylenol is actually one of the most deadly OTC meds out there, and I believe #1 in actual OTC deaths. If one survives, the liver damage can be permanent. So for those histrionics or borderline personality disorders prone to dramatic performances, pick something else.

>If there are any "drama queens" out there who think OD'ing on

>Tylenol is clever because it's "just Tylenol" and can't kill

>you, think again. Tylenol is actually one of the most deadly

>OTC meds out there, and I believe #1 in actual OTC deaths. If

>one survives, the liver damage can be permanent. So for those

>histrionics or borderline personality disorders prone to

>dramatic performances, pick something else.

But, "doctor," isn't it your view that anyone who would engage in the definitively selfish, wasteful, and "sociopathic" behavior of contrived suicide attempts (especially if they're done clumbsily and ignorantly) is someone who is wastefully consuming societal resources and is therefore someone whom, as a society, we're better off without? Isn't that clearly your belief from all of your prior opining on the topic of perceived Sociopaths and their right to live?

If so, isn't this Tylenol warning of yours rather counter-productive and even ill-advised? I would think that you would WANT people like this - "drama queens" looking for attention via half-hearted suicide attempts - to believe falsely that Tylenol is harmless so that they swallow as many as possible and rid us of their draining, unwarranted existence.

Why are you helping such creatures survive? Aren't you guilty of aiding and abetting their conduct, teaching them how more efficiently and safely to stage suicide attempts -- attempts which, in turn, the Good Members of Society end up paying for in the form of increased insurance premiums and medical costs?

Or have you turned over a new leaf in your never-ending quest as a "Physician" to aid humanity by ridding it of its most undesired members?

The only

>problem is having to be monitered for a possible side affect

>that causes the patient to commit suicide. It has been

>recorded in a small amount of cases (very small percentage, in

>fact). It involves seeing a doctor periodically for a while

>until they know the drug is good for you.

Greg's advice should be taken. The Gay & Lesbian Community Center in New York has one of the most comprehensive and well-funded crystal abuse out-patient treatment programs in the country. I have no dobut you can contact them (or the one in LA) and obtain all sorts of information and recommendations regarding treatment options for crystal meth abuse, undoubtedly the single biggest problem facing the "gay community" (if you believe individuals can be spoken of that way), by far.

Archived