Size DOESN'T matter...

samhexum
This topic is 2336 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The first- and third-best players in the American League this season, standing to the left of the second-best:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/american-league-allstars-jose-altuve-of-the-houston-astros-jose-of-picture-id812902000?s=612x612

• 5 months later...

The Houston Astros and reigning American League MVP Jose Altuve have agreed to a five-year, $151 million extension, according to multiple reports.

The deal keeps one of baseball's most dynamic players with the reigning World Series champions long term. The All-Star second baseman had two years remaining on his deal before the agreement.

It's the most money the Astros have committed to a player in franchise history. The previous most was a six-year, $100 million deal for Carlos Lee following the 2006 season.

Altuve is the sixth player in major league history -- and second position player -- to get a contract averaging $30 million annually. The others areZack Greinke ($34.4 million), David Price ($31M), Miguel Cabrera($31M), Clayton Kershaw ($30.7M) and Max Scherzer ($30M).

Earlier this year, Altuve said his desire was to remain with the only organization for which he has played.

"I want to stay here," he said in February, according to the Houston Chronicle. "If we talk about the city in Houston, I love the city. If we talk about the fans, I love the fans."

The 5-foot-6 Altuve has been one of baseball's biggest stars in recent seasons. He was the American League MVP in 2017.

• 1 month later...