Ordering Groceries Online?

Avalon
This topic is 1983 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

and please tell us WHY your mail is not delivered to your home ? Do you live with your Parents ?

I've had it for 20+ years. I did not like delivery services (UPS and FedEx) leaving packages by the door or with a neighbor. The Post Office will not sign for packages.

I once subscribed to the Advocate and had other "gay" mail; I had a mailman who would try to share his born-again faith with me.

Both parents died many years ago.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had it for 20+ years. I did not like delivery services (UPS and FedEx) leaving packages by the door or with a neighbor. The Post Office will not sign for packages.

I once subscribed to the Advocate and had other "gay" mail; I had a mailman who would try to share his born-again faith with me.

Gee, I never see my mailman.... Now I'm wondering if he's CUTE ?

I had one of those BornAgain postal carriers - and everytime he brought me a package from the DirtyDozenDildos and he would pray for me on my porch ---

I called the postmaster and got a lovely pinkhaired Lesbian who was a GaGa fanatic as my new postal carrier.

• 4 weeks later...

What the truck is going on with big box retailers?

Target on Wednesday became the latest big boxer to join the equivalent of the arms’ race for retailers — same-day delivery — with its purchase of Shipt, a grocery delivery service.

Target made the $550 million deal to compete in what is becoming a must-have service for retailers. While being able to offer customer same-day store-to-front door delivery doesn’t guarantee success, not having the service could spell doom for chains.

In October, archrival Walmart purchased Parcel, that will help it get packages to Big Apple residents’ homes within 24 hours.

That followed an announcement a month earlier by the discount giant, saying it was testing smart home technology that would allow Walmart workers to enter customers’ homes and put just-purchases groceries right into a refrigerator. :eek::mad::(:confused:

Amazon dangled its own offer on Wednesday, expanding a 30-day free trial of its Prime service for last-minute shoppers to include free shipping on two-day, one-day and same-day orders through Dec. 24.

“The team from Minneapolis is no longer sitting on its heels,” Gordon Haskett analyst Chuck Grom wrote in a research note, referring to Target’s hometown.

“What remains clear to us is that same-day delivery will soon be par for the course in the same way free two-day shipping has become standard in recent years,” Haskett said.

The Shipt acquisition is expected to close by Dec. 31, and the cheap-chic chain is set on offering same-day delivery from half its US stores within six months — and from all stores by the end of 2018.

Target has been testing same-day delivery with Shipt competitor Instacart in several markets, including New York City.

Amazon’s purchase of Whole Foods, which upended the grocery industry with supermarkets eyeing a way to revamp their e-commerce strategy, also served as a catalyst for these developments.

Shipt will be a wholly owned Target subsidiary, but it will continue to run its business independently keeping its partnerships with other retail chains, the companies said.

Target shares on Wednesday jumped 2.7 percent, to $62.67, but are down 13 percent year to date.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As I've said the grocery store and the UPS store where I get my mail is in the same shopping center. For several months my landlord has been picking up my groceries and mail. He lives a few blocks from the shopping center and his wife shops there. I order enough to last the month; I don't want to impose too much on him. He came by this morning. Again the grocery store did not give me a full order. At least I was not billed for the missing items. They had in the past. It's frustrating. Next order I'll be going over the order one item at a time on the phone on the pick up day!

As I've said the grocery store and the UPS store where I get my mail is in the same shopping center. For several months my landlord has been picking up my groceries and mail. He lives a few blocks from the shopping center and his wife shops there. I order enough to last the month; I don't want to impose too much on him. He came by this morning. Again the grocery store did not give me a full order. At least I was not billed for the missing items. They had in the past. It's frustrating. Next order I'll be going over the order one item at a time on the phone on the pick up day!

I've had the same experience with Walmart. Their packing/shipping seems to be up-to-snuff for non-food items, but their packing/shipping of grocery items needs work.

Anyone order groceries online? I do. They bring them out to my car but once home I have to carry them in.

But this morning the clerk told me maybe in a couple of months they will have home delivery.

I am not sure where you live == shoprite.com/ peapod.com/Freshgrocer.com/ all deliver to your door -- Shoprite brings it in and puts in where you want kitchen - garage - etc. There are also shoppers services like INSATCART.COM/POSTMATES.COM that shop for you and deliver to your door ---- I would google Grocery Delivery Near Me

I am not sure where you live == shoprite.com/ peapod.com/Freshgrocer.com/ all deliver to your door -- Shoprite brings it in and puts in where you want kitchen - garage - etc. There are also shoppers services like INSATCART.COM/POSTMATES.COM that shop for you and deliver to your door ---- I would google Grocery Delivery Near Me

I have checked online and there is no home delivery here yet. My landlord is kind enough to bring them to. There is also a taxi service that will also.

In suburban Chicago, I've used Shipt. They shop at Meijer. Prices are higher than what in-store prices are, but comparable, more or less, to what in-store prices are at Jewel (the highest priced grocery store in town if it's not on sale).

• 1 month later...

I just found out today that when I place a grocery order online and pay with my credit card upfront they add an extra 15% to the total in case that there are substitutions and changes. But ultimately later when the order is actually filled I'm just billed for the actual costs / prices.

I just found out today that when I place a grocery order online and pay with my credit card upfront they add an extra 15% to the total in case that there are substitutions and changes. But ultimately later when the order is actually filled I'm just billed for the actual costs / prices.

I guess it does not matter as the total (I assume) does not actually go to the credit card company until you are charged, i.e., the time they supply you with the groceries. Mine does not work that way. It would not charge me for substitutions/changes I may or may not make.

I guess it does not matter as the total (I assume) does not actually go to the credit card company until you are charged, i.e., the time they supply you with the groceries. Mine does not work that way. It would not charge me for substitutions/changes I may or may not make.

The way I found out was that my credit card payment had been rejected because of possible fraud detection even though I had been ordering groceries online for a year. So I called both the store and the bank. The bank told me the amount that was rejected and it was more than my order then when I called the store back they explained the 15%. But everything is now okay. My landlord picks up my grocery order. I don't want to bother him too often. So hopefully this large order which suffice for a month.

The way I found out was that my credit card payment had been rejected because of possible fraud detection even though I had been ordering groceries online for a year. So I called both the store and the bank. The bank told me the amount that was rejected and it was more than my order then when I called the store back they explained the 15%. But everything is now okay. My landlord picks up my grocery order. I don't want to bother him too often. So hopefully this large order which suffice for a month.

That is good. I use Peapod and the company actually has started to deduct delivery fees if you order a couple of times a month, which is good. If you have a decent grocery store nearby that you can walk to you can probably only order once a month. I found that I generally order mainly canned, frozen, or things like toilet paper from Peapod. They are generally the heavy things to carry. I might order a couple of fresh items like a cucumber, bag lettuce (if you eat that), or organic bag carrots also. For anything that I want to look at before I purchase, like meat, fruits, breadstuffs, I just walk to the store and get them. If I get lazy I can take a bus or our "L" system. Or you can always get a cab. That would be to go to places like Whole Foods or Mariano's. If worse comes to worst (like I am really housebound sick) there is always delivery. So it really does depend on which companies you have access to.

That is good. I use Peapod and the company actually has started to deduct delivery fees if you order a couple of times a month, which is good. If you have a decent grocery store nearby that you can walk to you can probably only order once a month. I found that I generally order mainly canned, frozen, or things like toilet paper from Peapod. They are generally the heavy things to carry. I might order a couple of fresh items like a cucumber, bag lettuce (if you eat that), or organic bag carrots also. For anything that I want to look at before I purchase, like meat, fruits, breadstuffs, I just walk to the store and get them. If I get lazy I can take a bus or our "L" system. Or you can always get a cab. That would be to go to places like Whole Foods or Mariano's. If worse comes to worst (like I am really housebound sick) there is always delivery. So it really does depend on which companies you have access to.

I've been shopping at this grocery store since last century. It's in the same shopping center as the UPS store where I get my mail. I used to go about once a week. But because of the arthritis in both knees I'd order online but then go pick them up. But as things got worse I was no longer able to go and pick them up. Thus I rely on the kindness of my landlord. I've lived here 27 years. I get salad fixings but as it does not stay fresh for the month so I only order enough for a week or so. But I order meat and cheeses. I keep a full freezer. And lots of diet soda - Pepsi, Coke, 7-Up, Dr Pepper. And stock up on toiletries and sundries. I do not want to do without so I try to order enough of non perishables to last a month. Lately I've buying soups too.