"yahoo security"?

Charlie
This topic is 2513 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just received an email on my yahoo email saying it was from "YAHOO SECURITY," saying possible illegal activity had been seen on my email account, referencing "Eastern Russia." It gave a phone number to call, so I did, and got a woman with an eastern European accent telling me to perform certain movements, which I did. When I realized it was moving toward the possibility of a remote takeover of my computer to "investigate," I immediately stopped the process and ended the phone call. The email has disappeared from my inbox. Is this some new scam?

I just received an email on my yahoo email saying it was from "YAHOO SECURITY," saying possible illegal activity had been seen on my email account, referencing "Eastern Russia." It gave a phone number to call, so I did, and got a woman with an eastern European accent telling me to perform certain movements, which I did. When I realized it was moving toward the possibility of a remote takeover of my computer to "investigate," I immediately stopped the process and ended the phone call. The email has disappeared from my inbox. Is this some new scam?

I'm sorry to say but the email 'disappearing' most likely means your computer is compromised and you should act accordingly. A slightly less serious interpretation is that your email account is compromised.

No, it's an old scam. As rule, never click on a link or call a phone number on an e-mail you receive from a company or organization. If you think there may be something that isn't a scam, open a new window and contact that organization from their regular website (or call the number on the back of your credit card or from their website).

Edited by Unicorn