The Latest in Winter Weather Terminology: Bomb Cyclone

Moondance
This topic is 2400 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Here on the East Coast, we are anticipating a "bomb cyclone." It's currently brewing in the Atlantic. It will feature hurricane-force winds and polar vortex temperatures. Until yesterday, I'd never heard the term.

There are decades-old black-and-white pictures of my sister and me, bundled up to near suffocation, standing atop many feet of snow -- proof positive that we did have major snowstorms back in the day.

If it was a particularly big storm, we called it a blizzard. (Technically, that's a winter storm with high winds over a sustained period of time, but plenty of people used the word to mean a whole lot of snow.)

It was never called a "snowmageddon" -- I know this because I just looked it up and learned that that term was coined in 2007 as an ironic comment on an overhyped winter storm that turned out to be ... not much.

But then weather forecasters started using "snowmageddon" in their reporting -- with no irony intended.

And now comes a "bomb cyclone."

Edited by Moondance

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you live in southern California and then retire to Florida? Have you ever shoveled snow?

(Don't be offended by the blatant envy in that question.)

LOL...Well yes, countless times, but of course not on a regular basis. For 30 years I skied the Sierra's, so I've dug out more than my share of cars from winter storms, and heard enough stories from the east coast friends that I knew that shoveling snow was something that would be a deal breaker. In fact any longitude about Jacksonville Florida is a deal breaker. Don't get me wrong, the North East is a very special place, in fact there are probably few places on the planet as spectacular, it's just not for these old bones.

Edited by bigvalboy

LOL...Well yes, countless times, but of course not on a regular basis. For 30 years I skied the Sierra's, so I've dug out more than my share of cars from winter storms, and heard enough stories from the east coast friends that I knew that shoveling snow was something that would be a deal breaker. In fact an annual temperature below 70 degrees is a deal breaker.

I learned I cant shovel snow in stilletos, so now my housing complex maintenance team does it for me. I love seeing those delicious brown boys flexing and bending, and when they are done, I invite them in for some HOT cocoa....

I learned I cant shovel snow in stilletos, so now my housing complex maintenance team does it for me. I love seeing those delicious brown boys flexing and bending, and when they are done, I invite them in for some HOT cocoa....

I'm sure they are happy to provide you with some fresh cream. So much better than the pasteurized stuff they sell at the grocery store.

News is entertainment. Its a for-profit venture, not a public service. The weather forecasts are expected to keep pace.

Its about ratings and ad revenues.

• Every drip of rain on the west coast is a storm
  • Forecasts are no different than movie coming attractions.
  • Everything reported has an IMPACT, not an effect
  • Everything is in the present, happening now, even if it happened past tense. "Residents continue clean-up efforts from torrential downpours that swept through the region two days ago."
  • No network brought you more coverage of last weeks record-breaking storm than ABC-7
  • We're live, with EXCLUSIVE coverage of tree limbs through the diner window, after tornadoes ripped through the small Kansas community of _____________

The actual stories/facts may be real. But the actual coverage, and the promotion, is about ratings to drive up the price of a 30-second spot during the news programming.

BOMB CYCLONES sell!

Edited by LaffingBear

Growing up in Chicago, we didn't have all these made-up pseudo-technical terms. We called them "snowstorms."

And I know all about being bundled up to the point of near-paralysis by winter clothing.

Remember a few winters ago, the day after New Years it was -16. I had promised someone that I would cover a work call and there was just no way to get out of it. At any rate, the few people I encountered (and this was downtown) were all clad in balaclava hats. I said that it looked like a city of bank robbers.

I'm retired now and I will sit in my condo until I FEEL like going out.

(CNN) A massive "bombogenesis" -- an area of rapidly declining low pressure -- will wreak havoc on the Northeast this week, threatening hurricane-force winter wind gusts and blinding snow.

The bombogenesis will result in what's known as a "bomb cyclone." And the bomb cyclone, expected to strike Thursday, will likely dump 6 to 12 inches of snow in New England and hurl 40- to 60-mph gusts.

By the end of this week, parts of the Northeast will be colder than Mars.

(CNN) A massive "bombogenesis" -- an area of rapidly declining low pressure -- will wreak havoc on the Northeast this week, threatening hurricane-force winter wind gusts and blinding snow.

The bombogenesis will result in what's known as a "bomb cyclone." And the bomb cyclone, expected to strike Thursday, will likely dump 6 to 12 inches of snow in New England and hurl 40- to 60-mph gusts. . . . .

Isn't that just winter in Minnesota?

Here on the East Coast, we are anticipating a "bomb cyclone." It's currently brewing in the Atlantic. It will feature hurricane-force winds and polar vortex temperatures. Until yesterday, I'd never heard the term.

There are decades-old black-and-white pictures of my sister and me, bundled up to near suffocation, standing atop many feet of snow -- proof positive that we did have major snowstorms back in the day.

If it was a particularly big storm, we called it a blizzard. (Technically, that's a winter storm with high winds over a sustained period of time, but plenty of people used the word to mean a whole lot of snow.)

It was never called a "snowmageddon" -- I know this because I just looked it up and learned that that term was coined in 2007 as an ironic comment on an overhyped winter storm that turned out to be ... not much.

But then weather forecasters started using "snowmageddon" in their reporting -- with no irony intended.

And now comes a "bomb cyclone."

I also have many old black and white photos of blizzards we survived in New Jersey before anyone heard about climate change. My favorite is one of me in huge drifts of snow following a blizzard in 1947. My great-grandfather died of pneumonia caught when his regiment was activated to try to clear the streets of Manhattan following the Blizzard of 1888. An ancestor of one of my friends was found frozen to death in the snow following a blizzard on Christmas in Connecticut.

I also have many old black and white photos of blizzards we survived in New Jersey before anyone heard about climate change. My favorite is one of me in huge drifts of snow following a blizzard in 1947...

Ah, the Blizzard of '47 ... I've heard a lot about that one ... my folks were married at the tail end of it, December 27, 1947 ... and by "at the tail end of it" I mean: when they could finally make it to the church. The pictures taken outside the church, snow everywhere, are kind of lovely ... if you can appreciate the charm of a beautiful bride in galoshes.

News is entertainment. Its a for-profit venture, not a public service. The weather forecasts are expected to keep pace.

Its about ratings and ad revenues.

• Every drip of rain on the west coast is a storm
  • Forecasts are no different than movie coming attractions.
  • Everything reported has an IMPACT, not an effect
  • Everything is in the present, happening now, even if it happened past tense. "Residents continue clean-up efforts from torrential downpours that swept through the region two days ago."
  • No network brought you more coverage of last weeks record-breaking storm than ABC-7
  • We're live, with EXCLUSIVE coverage of tree limbs through the diner window, after tornadoes ripped through the small Kansas community of _____________

The actual stories/facts may be real. But the actual coverage, and the promotion, is about ratings to drive up the price of a 30-second spot during the news programming.

BOMB CYCLONES sell!

And then there was this SoCal media over sensational event “Carmageddon!!!”:

www.laweekly.com/news/405-freeway-closure-will-make-july-16-17-the-carmageddon-of-traffic-mayhem-in-los-angeles-2391578

Remember a few winters ago, the day after New Years it was -16. I had promised someone that I would cover a work call and there was just no way to get out of it. At any rate, the few people I encountered (and this was downtown) were all clad in balaclava hats. I said that it looked like a city of bank robbers.

I'm retired now and I will sit in my condo until I FEEL like going out.

Back in the 1990's Chicago had a solid week of minus 20 degree days. Not wind chill, but air temperature. That Friday I was walking to my car (which I parked in the Grant Park Underground Garage) and started feeling warm. The air was warming up! I unwrapped the scarf a bit, loosened the hood on my down coat, and even unbuttoned the bottom button. I wasn't the only one, either. Everyone was unbundling a bit because it was warming up. All the way to minus 5 degrees!

Back in the 1990's Chicago had a solid week of minus 20 degree days. Not wind chill, but air temperature. That Friday I was walking to my car (which I parked in the Grant Park Underground Garage) and started feeling warm. The air was warming up! I unwrapped the scarf a bit, loosened the hood on my down coat, and even unbuttoned the bottom button. I wasn't the only one, either. Everyone was unbundling a bit because it was warming up. All the way to minus 5 degrees!

I think that may be the week that my friend and I had taken off of work to do all the museums and we were planning on walking between them from one to the other (Art Museum, the Aquarium, Planetarium, Field Museum, Natural History). It was just so cold we could not do it and we had to cancel.