The Legend of the Heterosexual Hercules

Avalon
This topic is 2436 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Achilles killed Hector in the Trojan War because he, Hector, killed Patroclus.

Patroclus was Achilles lover.

And Paris killed Achilles with the help of Apollo.

It is said that Apollo hated Achilles because Achilles had killed his son Troilus.

Patroclus was also Achilles mentee. Back then an older warrior would mentor younger ones into adulthood as a rite of passage. They would leave the polis and spend weeks in the wilderness learning how to hunt and how to fight. Once the mentee mastered the skills that would make him an adult, his mentor would gift him with weapons, armor, and a cup.

I strongly recommend Robert Graves' "The Greek Meeths". He collected all the classical myths and annotated them with anthropological and historical references. I read the Spanish translation 20 years ago, I am sure the English original is beautifully written.

833495.jpg

Edited by latbear4blk

Patroclus was also Achilles mentee. Back then an older warrior would mentor younger ones into adulthood as a rite of passage. They would leave the polis and spend weeks in the wilderness learning how to hunt and how to fight. Once the mentee mastered the skills that would make him an adult, his mentor would gift him with weapons, armor, and a cup.

I strongly recommend Robert Graves' "The Greek Meeths". He collected all the classical myths and annotated them with anthropological and historical references. I read the Spanish translation 20 years ago, I am sure the English original is beautiful written.

833495.jpg

Thank-you for the book recommendation.