Ice Cream Trucks?

Avalon
This topic is 2408 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Good Humor Man.

Mr. Softee.

Freezer Fresh.

Those were the days. :)

~Boomer~

We had Good Humor and a brand whose name escapes me that sold soft-serve a la Tasty Freeze. I think they used olllld trucks because they always stunk from exhaust.

They weren’t very common where I grew up. I did know a guy named Mark who was a year older than I was who had a route for a while in high school. I mentioned to my MoM I might like to do it. She told me she had heard from Mark’s mother that the insurance was really expensive.

I also thought I might like working at the local Baskin Robbins. But the guy who owned the two where I grew up only hired girls-or at least in all the years I went there, I only saw girls behind the counter.

Gman

I remember the Good Humor truck. The guy pulling the string to ring the bells. No doors on the truck. He came out onto the street, and reached into the small door on the side to get what you wanted, and had the change thing attached to his belt. Around 10, we moved to a new neighborhood. No Good Humor truck there, but a van type truck, and he never came out, just stuck his head out the side window. Wasn't the same.

As a side note, we had milk delivered to our house 3 days a week until I was a teenager, and during the summer, when I was very young, the milkman would give us chunks of ice.

I remember the Good Humor truck. The guy pulling the string to ring the bells. No doors on the truck. He came out onto the street, and reached into the small door on the side to get what you wanted, and had the change thing attached to his belt. Around 10, we moved to a new neighborhood. No Good Humor truck there, but a van type truck, and he never came out, just stuck his head out the side window. Wasn't the same.

As a side note, we had milk delivered to our house 3 days a week until I was a teenager, and during the summer, when I was very young, the milkman would give us chunks of ice.

We had a milkman intermittently until I was about 6 (1967). But from when I was younger, I can remember my grandmother leaving out empty amber colored glass milk bottles on the front porch for the milkman to pick up.

Gman

We had a milkman intermittently until I was about 6 (1967). But from when I was younger, I can remember my grandmother leaving out empty amber colored glass milk bottles on the front porch for the milkman to pick up.

Gman

I only remember the clear bottles at first, then paper cartons. Both of the houses we lived in when I was young had what we called the milk chute. A door on the exterior wall, and one inside the house. It was only large enough to hold 2 half gallons of milk. Since he delivered early, if it was a big order, my mom would leave the interior door open, so the milkman could put as much onto the kitchen floor to deliver the whole order (milk, eggs, cottage cheese, etc.).

I only remember the clear bottles at first, then paper cartons. Both of the houses we lived in when I was young had what we called the milk chute. A door on the exterior wall, and one inside the house. It was only large enough to hold 2 half gallons of milk. Since he delivered early, if it was a big order, my mom would leave the interior door open, so the milkman could put as much onto the kitchen floor to deliver the whole order (milk, eggs, cottage cheese, etc.).

I’m fairly sure I didn’t imagine them as when I looked them up online, they did exist. And I can’t imagine having seen them online without deliberately looking them up. I think I also remember they had a paper tab stopper of some type rather than a screwed on cap.

b9fd8da14de5579d3022897dc45f08b5.jpg

Gman

I remember we had an old box than had been for the milkman but have no recollection of us ever getting anything in it. This was early 70s but the development only went up in 1967/68. So maybe they had it for a couple of years then stopped as supermarkets were built.

This last summer, the smoke and heat from the forest fires all around Portland made the hot humid afternoons unbearable - we hired an ice cream truck to come by one afternoon to give all the guys in the service shop a cool refreshing treat. Cost us around $400, but everyone had a smile on their face that afternoon!