Ice Cream Trucks?

Avalon
This topic is 2408 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember how all the kids on our block would go running when the Good Humor man drove slowly down our street on a summer evening. The milk man delivered milk in glass bottles with a little globular top with cream in it; we had a milk box by the side door. Then there was the knife sharpener who came down the street occasionally, and the fish man in the summer. When I was young, we had a coal furnace in the basement, and the coal truck would make regular deliveries though the basement window down a shute into the coalbox.

My best friend's mother worked for S&H Green Stamps, and many of the things in their house came from the S&H warehouse.

When I was young, we had a coal furnace in the basement, and the coal truck would make regular deliveries though the basement window down a shute into the coalbox.

There was a separate coal door on the side of our 2nd house, and the area below the door in the basement had simple wood walls to hold the coal. When we bought the house, the seller had already installed a new gas furnace. However, the cement floor where the old coal furnace was, right in the middle of the basement, still had the roughed in cement with a shallow ditch in the floor, and some bricks imbedded in the cement that probably were used for the foundation of the old furnace. You had to walk around the area, about 4 or 5 feet wide.

I remember my father saying he would fix that. 20 years later, they sold the house. Still wasn't fixed.

I remember how all the kids on our block would go running when the Good Humor man drove slowly down our street on a summer evening. The milk man delivered milk in glass bottles with a little globular top with cream in it; we had a milk box by the side door. Then there was the knife sharpener who came down the street occasionally, and the fish man in the summer. When I was young, we had a coal furnace in the basement, and the coal truck would make regular deliveries though the basement window down a shute into the coalbox.

Damn Charlie. I thought I was an only child!!!

The Funk and Wagnalls came to us by a door to door salesman. The big rival at the time was the Britannica Encylopedia, which was clearly better and more expensive. I think the grocery store promotion came sometime in the 70's at a time when encyclopedias were losing popularity.

No. Had to be in the early ‘50’s when they were entering the market. By the early ‘70’s I was out of college and my BA took 9 years (flunking out changing majors Army etc.).

Last week I was having lunch at a remote chicken farm down a long and very narrow road far from the bustle of downtown Kuala Lumpur. The chickens served and sold there are fully grown a truly organic. The Chinese version of coq au vin made with rice wine is excellent. Well into our lunch I heard in the distance the approach of an ancient motorbike. As it neared I could make out attached to it’s rear an ice chest wrapped to look like a mini Good Humor truck covered with images of what was for sale. The folks at the next table told the old man to come back; they had just arrived. He did and they made it worth his while.

My parents bought a set of Encyclopedia entitled the Wonderland of Knowledge. The set came with a world Atlas which included maps through the ages of civilization and a globe. My parent's told me they bought the books and I think they were expecting an excited reply from me. This was not the kind of purchase that was made in my household, one in which meals were not guaranteed. I was perplexed and could feel their disappointment in my lack of enthusiasm. Still the books came and were placed in a built in bookcase that was at the head of my bed in the attic. I was about 7 or 8 when I started reading them. As G56Whiz said, I read them like a novel. Each night reading before I went to bed. I can vividly recall reading the section on Army which included the salary that the various ranks earned and thinking that being a private was not such a good deal. Arkansas, which I thought was pronounces Ark KAN sas. I think it took from the 2nd grade to the 5th grade to read all the books. I recall poring over the maps and envisioning the changes in the world with countries coming and going. The globe was for down time. I would spin it and allow it to slow down by rubbing against my fingertip. I would then write down the country which was pointed out on each spin. I had a bit of a contest. Surprisingly, after many months of doing this, Italy was the country which was pointed out the most. That result may seem odd, but the globe was constructed in such a way as to have a seam which ran along the longitude running through Italy. Still, all that spinning and denoting gave me a significant head start in understanding world geography.

So though I did not show the kind of initial excitement my parent's were expecting when they scraped together the money to buy the set of books I did not really want. In the end, it was probably the most important purchase as to my intellectual development. I hope at some point they got the satisfaction of knowing that.