Any of you sent in those DNA analysis tests?

This topic is 2390 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Do you know a company that does that? Will it tell the ethnicities? And it is expensive?

They can make inferences as to ethnicity but a genetic analysis cannot positively reveal ethnicity-at least not yet. 23andme costs 99.00. I'm sure you can spend a lot more than that if you're so inclined.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To know what comes from the father and what comes from the mother, you need to analyze their DNA as well. Obviously, if it comes from the mitochondrial DNA, it's from the mother, and if it's on the Y it's from the father, but the vast majority of the genetic material is on neither of those two.

Correct. With the mitochondrial and y-chromosome analysis they can determine the maternal and paternal haplotypes.

As for their validity, I'd question any company who says answers are as easy as spitting in a cup...

http://www.insideedition.com/investigative/21784-how-reliable-are-home-dna-ancestry-tests-investigation-uses-triplets-to-find-out

Why not? DNA is DNA, whether it comes from epithelial cells in a saliva sample or blood cells in a blood draw.

They can make inferences as to ethnicity but a genetic analysis cannot positively reveal ethnicity-at least not yet. 23andme costs 99.00. I'm sure you can spend a lot more than that if you're so inclined.

Thanks!