Texting/calling international numbers

Reisr30
This topic is 2399 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have a google voice number to maintain privacy. I plan on traveling internationally and see a lot of local companions mention WhatsApp. Is there a way to text/call for free internationally?

Seems WhatsApp requires a real cell phone number. Any suggestions?

I have a google voice number to maintain privacy. I plan on traveling internationally and see a lot of local companions mention WhatsApp. Is there a way to text/call for free internationally?

I think Google requires money for international calls.

Your best bet might be to get foreign SIM cards when you are in that country.

Gman

I'm not sure that is the case. I get the impression that the phone number is a label for the WhatsApp account, not that it is linked to the actual number. WhatsApp uses internet connectivity, not the PSTN. I have used WhatsApp in the US when the Australian phone number it references wasn't working. I would suggest trying to set up your account with the google voice number. As long as it's your GV number, no one else will try to use it for a WhatsApp connection.

I do not know where you are planning to travel to, or whether you speak the local language. When I travel to Argentina, I use the land lines of my hotel. If they notice I have a phone number from the USA the prices I pay would rocket up.

Hm - I hadn't thought of that. Helpful to know.

I do not know where you are planning to travel to, or whether you speak the local language. When I travel to Argentina, I use the land lines of my hotel. If they notice I have a phone number from the USA the prices I pay would rocket up.

My problem in Argentina was that I didn't speak the language. So I was pasting everything into google translate, which only worked so well, because the locals would use the spanish equivalent of CU later and such, which google wouldn't know how to translate.

Kevin Slater

I'm not sure that is the case. I get the impression that the phone number is a label for the WhatsApp account, not that it is linked to the actual number. WhatsApp uses internet connectivity, not the PSTN. I have used WhatsApp in the US when the Australian phone number it references wasn't working. I would suggest trying to set up your account with the google voice number. As long as it's your GV number, no one else will try to use it for a WhatsApp connection.

I also have Google Voice for my work, and I use that as my WhatsApp number. It works fine. I even used it to call @mike carey on his birthday!

Thank you. Sorry for being technology challenged. Does the companion have to have WhatsApp or will I be able to message any mobile (e.g. a UK number)?

Thank you. Sorry for being technology challenged. Does the companion have to have WhatsApp or will I be able to message any mobile (e.g. a UK number)?

No you both have to have WhatsApp and getting a new contact into it is a PITA. You have to add them to your contacts on your computer or phone and then they show up in Whats App for a new message eventually, maybe. I wish I could learn a fast way to add contacts there. There's also a desktop WhatsApp and a desktop MSG for WhatsApp I use.

But once you're connected it's great. Messages, phone calls, photos, etc. The free phone calls are very clear.

People outside the US use WhatsApp as their primary communication tool.

I wish I could learn a fast way to add contacts there.

Once I had installed WhatsApp I added numbers to my regular contact list on my [samsung] phone and they showed up with a phone icon and a WhatsApp icon if that number has been used for the app. WhatsApp icons also appeared on many of my pre-existing contacts.

Once I had installed WhatsApp I added numbers to my regular contact list on my [samsung] phone and they showed up with a phone icon and a WhatsApp icon if that number has been used for the app. WhatsApp icons also appeared on many of my pre-existing contacts.

But some of mine never show up and since they're from other countries I know they must be on WhatsApp. I put them into my contacts. Some show up after a day or two while others never do. It might have to do with having to put+ before the country code? IDK

Edited by tassojunior

Not everyone outside the US uses WhatsApp, for example only about 10% of my contacts show up as having it. Unless you have confirmed with them that they have it installed ATM, I wouldn't assume that they use it. IDK either if using the + makes a difference, but it may be what WhatsApp uses to identify the start of a phone number. In any case it's a good idea always to use it if you ever travel outside your home country. The + enables the phone service to automatically use the correct international dialing access code from the country you're in (unlike the US, it's 0011 here). (All my Australian contacts are in my phone in the +61 format [with the leading 0 in the area code dropped off] rather than the standard domestic format. Although if I'm calling a new number I use just the 8 digit number if it's in the same area code, and the leading zero area code format for others, not the +61 format.)

Not everyone outside the US uses WhatsApp, for example only about 10% of my contacts show up as having it. Unless you have confirmed with them that they have it installed ATM, I wouldn't assume that they use it. IDK either if using the + makes a difference, but it may be what WhatsApp uses to identify the start of a phone number. In any case it's a good idea always to use it if you ever travel outside your home country. The + enables the phone service to automatically use the correct international dialing access code from the country you're in (unlike the US, it's 0011 here). (All my Australian contacts are in my phone in the +61 format [with the leading 0 in the area code dropped off] rather than the standard domestic format. Although if I'm calling a new number I use just the 8 digit number if it's in the same area code, and the leading zero area code format for others, not the +61 format.)

update- I went back to the contact that didn't show up and added + before the Czech number and sure enough it then showed up in WhatsApp. This probably throws a lot of Americans off on WhatsApp. Even if you have to country code/phone number you must add a + at the beginning of the number or it will never appear in WhatApp. Even on American numbers you must add a +1 before the area code and phone number.

In Australia WhatsApp may not be as important but in Europe and South America it's essential to avoid country-to-country phone tolls.

In Australia WhatsApp may not be as important but in Europe and South America it's essential to avoid country-to-country phone tolls.

I certainly use it, but mainly to call people in the US, and my fairly basic mobile phone plan's included minutes can be used on domestic or international calls. It's just more convenient (and sensible) to use my home internet data rather than those minutes. (There can also be issues calling or texting numbers provided by services like google voice.) Here, many phone plans include all calls. I realise there are real issues making international calls from some countries.