The Family Stone

Bilbo
This topic is 6869 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think this is from a book that I haven't read yet? Anyway there are a lot of great things in this movie. Handsome men, for several. This Wilson is, IMHO, handsomer than his brother, and, in one shot, obviously nicely hung. And someone who had a smaller role was so fucking gorgeous looking down from a ladder late in the film. And the gay couple - I don't think that I had realized that there was one from the trailers - was so real. And so matter of factly accepted by the family. Which matter of factly also dealt with their gay son's deafness so much that it took me five minutes into the movie to realize why everyone was signing half of their lines. And the performances by the older couple - Yes! and the ensemble work! And the script - very funny, very touching, sometimes both at once. It strikes me as odd that I am the first one to talk about this movie on this site. Let's not let it get lost in all the well deserved hoopla about Brokeback!

Greetings Bilbo:

I saw "The Family Stone" over the weekend and found it to be a little sacharine. When I left the theater I wanted to find a slice of lemon to suck. At any rate I enjoyed the film as any film with Diane Keaton, Sarah Jessica Parker and Clair Danes can't be all bad.

I thought the men in the movie were afterthoughts and that there appearances were poorly written and conceived. I don't mean to be hard on the movie but after several good independant films including "Brokeback Mountain" my expectations were raised. Perhaps I'll wait a while and then revisit "The Family Stone" giving it a better chance of presenting itself when not following some of the best films I've seen all year such as "Loggerheads", "Brokeback Mountain", "Capote" and "Pride and Prejudice".

It's always good to hear from my friend Bilbo.

Sincerely,

Houston Bonfires

Maverick and I see Brokeback tonight. Ya know, Family Stone is set at Christmas time and while it made me cry a good bit, it also made me laugh even more. And think. Is Brokeback set at Christmas? Not that I've heard. Does it make you laugh? Is there any satisfying romance that makes you happy before they hit you with fences and tragedy? Not that I've heard. Ever since The Bells of St. Mary's, if not before - Chronology not my strong point - almost all of the best Christmas season shows have been a bit sappy. And would hit some of us as sacharine. But that's partly what this season is about - regaining our innocence, not running for Oscars. Learning the joy of simplifying our minds occaisionally. Ah, well, I won't really be able to compare the two until tomorrow.

Hey Bilbo;

I hope you and Maverick have a terrific moviegoing experience. "Brokeback Mountain" is showing on two of the three screens at the River Oaks Theater and from what an employee there tells me every showing has been at least 90% full. That is a feat not accomplished in Houston since my arrival in 1975. I hope you see it in the downstairs room as upstairs can be hard on the knees (the seats are too close together). Mind out of the gutter.

Sincerely,

Houston Bonfires

P.S. At the end of "The Family Stone" I too wiped away tears and cleared my throat. I got some strange looks from six women who were seated immediately to my right.

Guest zipperzone

>I think this is from a book that I haven't read yet? Anyway

>there are a lot of great things in this movie. Handsome men,

>for several. This Wilson is, IMHO, handsomer than his brother,

>and, in one shot, obviously nicely hung.

I too enjoyed this film and the shot you referred to above was VERY hot. When they showed the bare skin above his sweat pants and the white underwear band and his thrusting basket (twice) I couldn't help but think - what the fuck? It was obviously deliberate on the part of the director (not just an over zealous camera man ot film editor)and gave the first clue as to what was eventually going to be the switcheroo.

Hey, HB,

We bought our tickets in the afternoon and showed up early enough that we were towards the front of the seating line. And, yes, we were in the big theater. Brokeback deserves everything it is getting, but unfortunately, that didn't include my total pleasure. Family Stone is much more of a Christmas movie - I was right on that account. Hope, people! This is the season of hope!! Brokeback should have come out in October or March. And I am glad that it declares itself to be an historic look. But, so as not to hijack my own thread too much, Family Stone manages to talk about gay marriage, gay adoption, and, one of my particular fears, the threat of dying without anyone to carry on after you to spread your message. Which in my case is "You can be gay and happy at the same time!" Surprising and daunting how many people haven't gotten ahold of that one yet.

And isn't this the old Coach's best dramatic acting you've ever seen? As well as funny, etc. I'd love to see him get an Oscar nom for Best Supporting.

Archived