Appreciation of a nontipping society

510guy
This topic is 2370 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I was at the football yesterday, Maccas had ads on the perimeter hoardings of the ground for a Wagyu beef burger (limited time only, 'world first'). I mentioned 'a bit fancy'. Australian cattlemen have been increasingly raising Wagyu beef for both the export and domestic markets and it is becoming more mainstream. Had one on my drive home from Sydney, and it was rather good: substantial patty, better quality bread roll, lots of crispy bacon, lettuce and tomato and a savoury sauce. The meal deal with a large flat white was just short of $AU17, which is about what Westernsyd quoted in his earlier post of $35 for two people. The restaurant was absolutely packed (it's on the main highway south from Sydney) on this holiday Monday, so I suspect that they will have been making a profit even with the double time wages they have to pay on public holidays.

I know a guy who imports kobe and wagyu beef from Japan. He says the fat is more healthful - quite a bit higher in omega -3 fats.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is interesting. In this case it's competing activists at 50 paces (A-listers on one side and self-selected hospitality workers on the other). I think the discussion needs to be broader. If a waiter in Joe's diner ends up with $7 an hour including tips the system is broken, irrespective of whether someone in an Outback Steakhouse can earn $50. If you have a 40 hour a week job you should be able to live on your pay without food stamps or charity. If employers can't pay that sot of wage they can't afford to be in the business.

I alway tip alot , sometime to much , even if the service is not that good . and in cash , if i put the meal on a card. I look at it like this, At least they are working, trying . not sitting on there ass getting a check. I look at servers and think >if the service is not that good or even if it is< . I dont know what the person is going thru at home . Most are single parents, college kids , alot this is there second job. I pay it forward as they say and it comes back to me .in blessing and better things. I still do not understand how the Minimum is $ 2:13 , and they take out taxes on $7:25 in my state. the wait staff usually has to come in earlier ad set up and clean afterward and still make the$2;13 for that time, it just does not seem right.