Australian Rules Football

Avalon
This topic is 2358 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football

I remember seeing Russell Crowe playing a gay character in the 1994 film "The Sum of Us". One scene he played Australian Rules Football. Currently there's a storyline about a girl's team in the soap "Neighbours".

I don't care for American football. I can never understand the rules. Plus one can not actually see the players what with their uniforms. All one can see is their name and number on the jersey.

One disparaging name for Aussie Rules is 'cross-country basketball' and there is some validity in that description. Players mark each other across the field, there is no 'front line' the way there is in American football or the two rugby codes, there is a limit how far you can run with the ball without bouncing it (like the travel rule in basketball). It is also a game that works better at the ground than it does on television because you need to see the sweep of the game across the field unlike rugby/NFL where you can see what's happening by focussing on the players around the ball. (Disclosure: I'm a member of the Sydney Swans (effectively that's a season ticket) and have been since 1996. But the game is alien in Sydney, the football of choice there is rugby league and to a lesser extent rugby union: perversely the Swans' crowds are bigger than most rugby code crowds.)

One disparaging name for Aussie Rules is 'cross-country basketball' and there is some validity in that description. Players mark each other across the field, there is no 'front line' the way there is in American football or the two rugby codes, there is a limit how far you can run with the ball without bouncing it (like the travel rule in basketball). It is also a game that works better at the ground than it does on television because you need to see the sweep of the game across the field unlike rugby/NFL where you can see what's happening by focussing on the players around the ball. (Disclosure: I'm a member of the Sydney Swans (effectively that's a season ticket) and have been since 1996. But the game is alien in Sydney, the football of choice there is rugby league and to a lesser extent rugby union: perversely the Swans' crowds are bigger than most rugby code crowds.)

Go Swannies!!!

Collingwood is certainly that team we all like to hate. For me the other one is Hawthorn , we seemed to clash with them in the finals during the late 80's .

I used to follow the swans when I first came to Sydney, went to a lot of the games, do you remember the swantits? Drag cheer squad. Had a few riotous dinners at the Unicorn Hotel, with the swantits in one table verbally sparring ith Carlotta and Monique, who were about to do their Sunday night show.

Now beng based out west my second team the Western Sydney Eagles.