Are Particular Words Needed For A Valid Marriage?

Avalon
This topic is 2330 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On the season finale (hopefully not the series finale) Steven and Sam had a wedding ceremony. But at the end the presider rather than saying "I pronounce you married" or "I pronounce you husbands" he said "I pronounce you partners for life". Is that a technicality or are they really married?

They are married.

On the season finale (hopefully not the series finale) Steven and Sam had a wedding ceremony. But at the end the presider rather than saying "I pronounce you married" or "I pronounce you husbands" he said "I pronounce you partners for life". Is that a technicality or are they really married?

I don't know what show you're watching, but a valid marriage would be one that is, I presume, recorded/signed/validated by a JP or county recorder with a valid certificate

Good point.

They are married.

Thanks!

What is said during the ceremony can vary--some people write their own script. In a state like Pennsylvania, which allows "self-uniting" marriage ceremonies, you don't even need a third party to say anything. What matters is a valid license and an official marriage certificate from the state. The officiant at my own wedding, a Deputy Commissioner for Civil Marriages in the County of Riverside, CA, said, "I now pronounce you spouses for life," which I thought sounded nice.

Charlie's email is correct. Each state defines a valid marriage for purposes of its citizens. What might constitute a valid marriage here in Texas (a common law state based upon Mexican law) might differ significantly from what constitutes a valid marriage in Louisiana (whose law evolved from the French code) or Arkansas (a common law state based upon the English system of government).

Charlie's email is correct. Each state defines a valid marriage for purposes of its citizens. What might constitute a valid marriage here in Texas (a common law state based upon Mexican law) might differ significantly from what constitutes a valid marriage in Louisiana (whose law evolved from the French code) or Arkansas (a common law state based upon the English system of government).

The Common Law is a creature of English law.

Up until the legalisation of equal marriage, Australian law mandated that the words said had to include the statement that marriage was between one man and one woman entered into for life.

The validity of a marriage under civil law and whatever a religious group deems necessary are different things. Here, the state confers religious celebrants the authority to conduct marriages recognised under civil law.