Suggestions of things to see and do in Chicago

Massguy
This topic is 6773 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Dinner & drinks with Barry is a must. :p

As posted elsewhere, http://www.gaychicagomagazine.com and http://www.boystownchicago.com are good resources.

If you're into museums, museum row could occupy you for days and you still won't have seen it all. Architecture? Take both the lake and river architecture tours, and then wander down to WaterTower square and take a horse-drawn cab for a tour of the more gentrified uptown residences.

If the skies are clear, views from the top of the Sears Tower (which hasn't housed Sears offices in years) and Hancock Tower (Oprah's home) can be amazing.

If the weather is good, Navy Pier is a great place to just relax, and have a bite to eat.

I miss Chicago a lot. (Although I'll admit I don't miss the winters!)

Thanks Deej,

I know during the day I will be sightseeing with many of the points of interest you mentioned. Any shows or nice dinning suggestions for a nice quiet dinner for me and my companion from Orlando. I like fine restuarants. I have been reading a few touring books and looking online and the city is just a little overwhelming. Any suggestions would be welcome. I will be in Chicago this coming weekend. I suppose it is to much to ask that the warm weather hold on a bit longer.

Thanks-Massguy

As far as shows go, I don't know what's in town. Best check with the hotel concierge (or in the local papers) when you check in.

Restaurants ... well, there are so MANY! Chicago is a "food" town. They're not bashful about portions or content.

One of my all-time favorites is Shaw's Crab House (downtown).

In the mood for prime rib? Lawry's!

And, of course, if you haven't had the experience before you MUST try Chicago-style pizza. (Giordano's, Uno's, Due's, Gino's, etc.)

If you're into sports, you might enjoy Ditka's just because it's Iron Mike's. It's actually a high-class joint.

There are so many great dining options but here are just a few recommendations.

Italian - Spiaggia 980 N Michigan Ave, 2nd Floor · 312-280-2750

Truely one of the best. Very romantic and Very expensive.

Seafood - Catch 35 35 W Wacker Dr · 312-346-3500

Right on the river, great food and live jazz in the bar.

Steakhouses. - Chicago is a steak city going back to the stockyard days. Here are a few of the best.

Chicago Chop House 60 W Ontario, · 312-787-7100

Gene and Georgetti 500 N Franklin St · 312-527-3718

Morton's, The Original 1050 N State St · 312-266-4820

Gibsons 1028 N Rush St · 312-266-8999

Pizza - Chicago deep dish.

Pizzeria Uno 29 E Ohio, · 312-321-1000

Pizzeria Due (Uno's sibling) 619 N Wabash Ave, · 312-943-2400

For shows there are so many. Go here and you can sort by Show, Theater, Company, Style or day/time. http://centerstagechicago.com/theatre/shows/ If you want to laugh I recommend Second City.

I hope you enjoy your visit. Make your next visit late spring or summer. So much to do and see outside here.

Barry :)

How could I have forgotten G&G? Even a healthy appetite won't help you survive dinner there! LOL

Every airline in-flight magazine has a different list of "10 top steak houses" and at least two of them will be in Chicago, and there will be no overlap from list to list.

There is NO city like Chicago for putting on the feed bag.

Remember when Leno did the Tonight show from Rosemont for a week? On his last night, he did a comparison of LA cuisine and Chicago cuisine:

LA: An artistic plate with a small medallion of beef and two sprigs of asparagus, obligatory cilantro as garnish.

Chicago: A great big heaping platter of baby back ribs.

It's actually a VERY true comparison! ;-)

Try Pepper Lounge. It's on Sheffield, near Newport, just south of Wrigley Field. It used to be a bar with good food, but at some point it became a restaurant with good drinks. It's in the theme of a 50's supper club and it's great. It tends to get busy late. It's sure to have several other tables with gay diners.

They used to have this a waiter named Brian who was just the hottest guy in town. He knew how to work the tips! I never had a waiter give me a neck massage as he took my order!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions. The problem with looking at the travel books and websites for a place as large as Chicago is that there is so much information you just are overloaded. I appreciate the time you took for your personal choices.

Hugs always,

Massguy

To get a capsule view of Chicago, I'd advise that you take the very inexpensive bus trip around town; I think you can get on and off at will; I also think that the bus has an open top, thus you can view everything from afar but yet so near. It'll probably be cold, so you more than likely will not be able to enjoy Chicago from above.

I also took a river/canal cruise which was rather great. ...was back in the "Windy City" or "Chi Town" during the spring of 2002 or 2003, thus the weather was decent... Enjoy! :-) Axiom-

>The steak houses already mentioned are all great, but my

>personal favorite--Joe's--got overlooked. It's at 60 East

>Grand, tel.312-379-5637. The steaks are fabulous, but so is

>the stone crab and other seafood.

Thanx for that. Joe's has always been known as a great seafood place and I've never thought to order a good slab of beef there. They do take reservations now.

Barry :)

Guest RandyRon

All the suggestions are great so I'll just throw in a couple of extras. Lunch at the 95th in the Hancock gives you a view of the city while enjoying a modestly priced lunch. There are also tours of the city's architecture both guided and ones you do yourself using a CD. You can get the info at the Archicenter (http://www.architecture.org/). I recently found a new restaurant that I like that is slightly northwest of Boys Town (3905 North Lincoln Ave.) called Mrs Murphy and Sons. Gives a whole new definition to Irish food.

For last minute theater tickets, go to one of the HotTix offices (http://www.hottix.org/). This will also give you a list of current shows online.

Enjoy :+ :+ :+

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great information, and please keep it comming! The Signature Room looks interesting and I have made reservations for a nice Sunday night dinner for me and my companion. I plan on waiting for a window table.

Too bad I will not have the warm weather of last week! It will be cold again this weekend. So outside sightseeing may be limited. But you have given me many ideas, thanks again everyone.

Massguy

Archived